CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Jason Billows

Profile:
I had to take a few weeks off from heavy workouts for a few weeks while I had my legs operated on. Since my operation I have been slowly building up my workouts which have primarily consisted of aerobic work like cycling. Just this past week I was able to start lifting again and doing some metcon workouts.

After my metcon workout on Friday I found myself coughing. It was as if I suddenly had a tickle in the back of my throat and whenever I'd talk I'd find myself having to cough. Over the next couple of hours it developed into a cough from deep in my throat and upper chest. It sounded terrible and felt like I had phlegm in my upper chest area. When coughing I could actually feel the rattle in my upper chest.

After about 2 hours the constant cough was gone, but I still seemed to have the phlegm in my chest. When I would try to bring it up by intentionally coughing I'd get that chest rattle.

The following day most of it was gone and it seemed to clear up rather quickly. However, today I did another metcon workout and it happened again.

What causes this? I'm not sick at all and it was obviously brought on by my hard workout (I was really sucking air).

Is this simply because I had to take a break and my body (specifically lungs) are trying to adapt to the workload again?

I should note that I have been off dairy completely for about two weeks and I see no dietary reasons.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Exercise induced pulmonary edema? Just a thought.

http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/reprint/126/2/394.pdf
(WFS link to related condition in swimmers)

"During maximal exercise in normal subjects, the capillary pressure at the base of the lung has been estimated to exceed 25mm Hg, a level that exerts great stress on the capillary endothelium. Indeed, it is well known that some thoroughbred racehorses may have alveolar
bleeding during maximal exercise. This bleeding has been attributed to a mean pulmonary artery pressure and pulmonary capillary pressures of up to 120 mm Hg and 100 mm Hg, respectively. Animal
studies have shown that the elevated capillary pressure results in structural damage to the BGB, including disruption of areas of the capillary endothelium, basement membrane, and epithelium. These changes diminish alveolar septal barrier function and allow for the development of high-permeability pulmonary edema.

The prevalence of exercise-induced pulmonary edema in humans is unknown and is probably underreported.

Hopkins et al11 demonstrated in elite
human athletes that brief intense exercise results in alteration of the BGB, with increased RBC and protein concentrations in BAL fluid."

Interesting article.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
Hmmm, interesting.

Thanks for the post.