CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
Adam Burella

Profile:
During the summer of 2005 I injured my left wrist doing thrusters, cleans, and front squats. It was a repetitive use injury that I ignored and kept working though it for months (stupid I know). After several months I took a 2 week break and when I started working out again I began taping it. I decided 2 months ago I was going to lay off it completely and let it heal. I haven't really worked out in 2 months except some running and a few WODs that didn't do my wrist any good.

I think I strained the tendons in my wrist that are connected to my pinky/ring fingers? It hurts about an inch below my wrist line on the side of my arm (same side as my pinky). It hurts when I extend my hand outward and try to twist my thumb downward or when I try to get into a front squat position. Does anyone has any insight into this injury or experienced it before?

So I've decided to let my wrist heal completely and I'm trying to plan a routine that will let me work around it. I really want to improve my squat and metabolic conditioning, so here's what I'm thinking:

Monday:
Back Squats 5x5
Dips bw x 3 sets to failure (dips don't hurt my wrist)
Incline situps 3 sets to near failure
Stair running for 10 minutes

Tuesday:
High intensity intervals on the C2 rower

Wednesday:
Rest

Thursday:
Front Squat 5x5 (arms crossed)
Tabata thrusters with 20 lb dumbells (should be light enough to not mess my wrist up but if it bothers me I'll just do tabata squats)
L-sit practice 2xfailure

Friday:
Rest

Saturday:
10 x 100m sprints

Sunday:
Rest

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Hi Adam,

do you feel a crunching sensation in the tendons when you do the painful movement? If yes, you have developed tendonitis and need total rest, icing, maybe some anti-inflammatories, for about one or two weeks, depending on the severity of the condition. Rest also means no typing etc. - total rest for your left hand. BTW - do you type or grip a lot with your left hand? That could contribute to the injury. Depending on how bad it is, a visit to the doctor might be prudent (if you get "real" RSI, it might take a very long time to recover completely - very bad thing for a hand).

In addition, feel around in the muscles of your forearm for hard "knots" that radiate pain to your wrist. Massage those "knots" with a hard ball or similar tool (e.g., by rolling the ball under your arm on a desk), several times a day, with short, slow strokes in one direction, for about a minute or two. This "trigger point massage" should give some immediate relief to your pain.

You can look where to massage on http://www.triggerpoints.net/_sgg/m1m2_1.htm. Likely suspects are the flexor carpi ulnaris (http://www.triggerpoints.net/userfil..._&_Ulnaris.jpg), and the extensor carpi ulnaris (http://www.triggerpoints.net/userfil...pi_Ulnaris.jpg).

You might also want to look up the internet for resources on RSI - the typical problem (too much typing) is similar to what you have, I think.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 03-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Adam Burella

Profile:
Hi Christian,

I don't feel a crunching sensation in the tendons. I do type a lot, but I can't find any areas of my forearm that radiate pain to my wrist.

Thanks for the reply Christian.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:22 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Adam,

does it hurt when you compress your wrist with the other hand? Does it hurt when you load the wrist? Maybe you have hurt a bony structure.

Might be a good idea to have a doctor look at it, since the pain seems to be persisting.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 03-22-2006, 07:08 AM   #5
Adam Burella

Profile:
It doesn't hurt at all when I compress my wrist, but it does hurt when I load it. Any ideas?

I will try to get a doctor to look at it. I had just assumed there was nothing that he could do except tell me to rest it. Thanks.

Adam