CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Matt Thacker

Profile:
Are interlocking stall mats worth the extra price? Is there actually a problem with non-interlocking stall mats seperating? It seems to me that at 95 Lbs each they will stay put interlocking or not. Any thoughts/opinions/experience would be appreciated.

Also, how big of an area should I cover in mats? I have a 30 X 40 shop with approx 30 x 20 dedicated to Crossfit. Should I cover the whole area in mats or just the portion where Weightlifting occurs? Also, with stall mats in place do I actually need lifting platforms or will stall mats do the trick? Lastly, do I put my power rack on top of the stall mats or mat around the power rack?

Thanks for any tips.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
My stall mats aren't interlocking and don't move. Just place them close together. I banged mine together from the side with a mallet to ensure they were snug against one another.

I'd cover as much space as you can afford. Teh more surface to work with the better in my opinion.

I'd place your rack right on top of the mats so you don't ahve to worry about filling in any gaps you may end up with by placing them around the rack.

I have a piece of plywood laid down in between my stall mats so that I can lift on it. I find the smooth surface is a little nicer to lift on when doing the Oly lifts. I didn't bother building a platform though and haven't had any problems with my bar or bumpers yet. Mind you, I'm not Olifting every day.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Price, thickness, and odor. Stall mats are cheaper, thicker, and often smellier.

If you install stall mats in a 20' wide area, for example, cut the stall mats to 20'1" to jam them against the walls and they will never move!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Jason Billows

Profile:
If you find the smell of the mats is a little too overwhelming, try placing a bowl of vinegar nearby. Someone suggested this to me and the vinegar seemed to get rid of the mat smell fairly quickly.