CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
My experience with home improvement is the TV show so excuse my ignorance...what's the best way to secure a pullup bar to my wall? It's a plasterboard wall over wooden studs. I have this vague idea that you can get a gizmo that will tell you where the studs are and then you secure it in. What types of screws, etc. do you use? This needs to support my 225lbs bouncing around on rings and trying to do kipping.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Can you get into the ceiling joists? What type of pullup bar are you putting up? I suppose you could use lag bolts (looks like a wood screw on roids) and screw it into the studs. Drill a pilot hole (hole smaller than the bolt) and then apply the bolt. The pilot hole generally keeps the wood from splitting. I think there are better ideas out there than mine.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:05 AM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
I have one hung from the celiing in my garage. I used galvanized pipe from Home Depot and threaded rod that goes though the ceiling, through a couple of 2x4s that lay across the trusses. I just added some "guy wires" that are attached to the truss with eye bolt lag screws and use turnbuckles. It is more than solid. I won't be able to post a picture until next week if you want more details. Having it away from the wall is a real plus, but not a necessary condition.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
I think Joseph is right. If you can get into the ceiling you can get OVER or through the joists to use bolts -much more secure. I think it was Michael Leach who posted a thread with detailed pictures of how he mounted his rings through the ceiling. I can't find it though. Anyone familiar with that thread?
Old 04-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
OK. I secured it to my ceiling joists with 3" x 3/8" screws. If it falls out, you won't be hearing from me again because it weighs about 30 lbs and will clonk me on the head.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:
That does not sound very secure.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Paul:

Tell me why...to be clear, it is secured with 4 3/8" inch diameter screws which are screwed into wooden joists to a depth of 3 inches. The guy at Home Depot seemed to feel that would secure an elephant.

Tell me why you think that won't work since if this falls, it will be a disaster.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
sorry I should have said lag bolts rather than screws. I can't get into my ceiling space unless I rip it open.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:17 AM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

All I would say is watch it (inspect it) carefully . . . before every use, or, at least, weekly. Kipping adds a lot of horizontal forces stressing the bolts in ways that the guy at HD has never thought of.

Bolting all the way through the joists is inherently stronger (assuming you drilled a clean hole, and didn't take out so much wood as to weaken the joist significantly).

If all you do is chinups (feet below your body), a failure wouldn't likely to be disastrous.

If you do inversions (or even just front/back levers), a failure will dump you on your head or torso rather than your feet. Be careful.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
Paul Findley

Profile:
I figured it was lag screws. I was thinking they stress the wood being screwed in then small movements will tear the hole larger until the joist fails around the bolt.

I have access to the inside of my trusses, so I was able to run threaded rod though the vertical pipe and through the joist and through 2x4s that lay parallel above the bar across many trusses. Total overkill, but its solid. Then my friend suggested the "guy wires" you could add them from below as well. I did not need to get into the roof for them. They are all home depot parts, I use a big screwdriver and hammer to pean the collers to make the loops. It is a continuous cable. I used 2 turnbuckles because I had them, and so I could adjust without the cable needing to slide. This bar is really solid now.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/22657.jpg

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/22658.jpg

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/22659.jpg