CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-24-2005, 06:36 AM   #1
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
I am in need of gear. I currently have a CII rower (my first and so far only major purchase), but I need lots of other stuff. I have rings, but not much else. Tops on my list are Oly bar and bumper plates and maybe a KB. I figure that most of the stuff I can make. Any suggestions on how to acquire/build gear would be greatly appreciated. Also, are my priorities correct?? Should my focus be elsewhere as opposed to the bar/bumper plates? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I'd say the easiest things I've found to make yourself are a box for plyo jumping, medicine balls (old basketball filled with sand), Paralettes (http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond#plltts)
,and a sandbag (http://www.warriorforce.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf).

I'd say an Oly bar and bumpers are a definite top priority, the best deal I've seen is on BFS ( http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/...sp?category=13).

If the gym at the private school I worked for didn't have such good olympic lifting equipment, I'd be saving up for some myself :D
Old 09-24-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Kettlebells from www.dragondoor.com. Don't settle for other brands or the adjustable kind. Build your KB stable over time and only get the DD brand.

Lot's of stuff at BFS and their sale may still be on as well. I have also purchsed some equipment from IronMind - in particular their Vulcan Racks and Pillars of Power. Great stuff. Power Maxima has some good gear to check out as well.

Be sure to check out Ebay as well. You can find some great deals in there if you are patient.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:47 AM   #4
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Thanks for the quick response. I have already printed off the sandbag construction kit, and should be putting that together real soon. Ebay has been suggested to me a few times, so I will be checking that as well.

Others out there, keep that info. coming!!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
Also, watch www.craigslist.org under sporting goods. I got Oly's and C2 from craigslist.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
James Falkner

Profile:
Eugene,

Patient on Ebay? I thought everyone waited until 45 seconds before auctions ended and bid all the way up to retail price :-)

At least that's the experience I got the last 3 times I bought stuff on ebay. if you don't watch the last minute of the auction or put a sky high max bid you'll likely be a loser!

Old 09-24-2005, 03:46 PM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Skip, thanks for reminding me of this link! I just found a set of parallel bars in my area for $30! No, not parallettes - a full friggin set of parallel bars! Next CFR group workout - lifting p-bars into the back of a pick-up truck!

Ryan
Old 09-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Thanks a lot. I will be looking actively, and I'll let you guys know how my gym turns out as I slowly, but surely, put it together.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #9
Skip Chase

Profile:
Ryan, GOOD DEAL. In the Seattle area, it seems like everybody and his brother are selling exercise equipment CHEAP on craigslist.org. During the past 2 weeks I've found C2, Oly bars and plates, pullup/dip stations, benches and squat racks. I'll drive 30 miles to save $300 every day!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:42 PM   #10
Bryant Powers

Profile:
I can't say enough good stuff about craigslist. Even out here in Hawaii I have gotten a lot of great deals. Be sure to be on the look out for extra audio/video gear on there too if you need some for your home gym.