CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-31-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Received my BFS Super Bar and 15 and 25lb bumpers yesterday (10lb on b/o). Also, got a set of the Boa (BFS) wrap-around collars.

Now, granted, I am not doing a lot of weight, but am wondering if there is a trick to these...I snugged the 15lb bumper up against the bar as tight as I could get it, even picking up the end of the bar so the weight rested against it. I then snugged and wrapped the Boa collar on. Did this for both ends.

When the bar/weights are on the ground, I can wiggle the weights side-to-side. Is this normal? Or a) am I doing something wrong or b) do the Boa collars not work?
Old 09-01-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I haven't used the Boa collars. In fact, I rarely use collars at all. Most competitive weightlifters don't use collars much either, at least in training. You get used to the bumpers having a little slop in them. The only time I use collars is when I'm doing high reps and that's just to keep the bumpers from coming off altogether. I don't mind if the bumpers slide and wiggle around a little.

Tim, personally I'd cancel the order for the 10 lb. bumpers. They are going to fold over when the bar hits the ground. That will cause them to spring back up (or sideways) at you and put significant stress on the hubs. 10 lbs. of rubber is not enough material to prevent that from happening. I've heard no good news on the longevity of 10 lb. rubber bumpers. On the other hand, BFS has a 5 lb. nylon training bumper that is quite a bit stiffer. It works well when dropped and has no metal hub to come off.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Interestingly, I asked Roland @ BFS about the nylon 5lb 'training' plates and asked if they could be dropped. he indicated that yes, they could, but that they'd get chewed up quickly.

I decided to get 10s in order for add-on weight and to make the bar/combo 10lb lighter...right now, I can push press 75 (bar + 15's) about 6 times with good form. Since I am doing the CF Beginner's Workout, the plan is 3x12 reps for DL and PP...75 is about 8-10 pounds too heavy to do that many reps in good form. The 10's will also allow me to go up in weight in slightly smaller steps than if I only had 15's, 25's and so on.

But, as a neophyte, I am all ears...other than the stress issue you mention, are there any other reasons to forgo the 10s?

Oh...and wife and I will be in Sedona during weekend of Sept 9. I believe I have your phone number, would love to stop by on Saturday a.m. for some form evaluation...nothing too strenuous, as it IS a vacation. :-)
Old 09-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Ha ha. I just took delivery of 1,225 lbs. of dumbells. We will move them from one side of the gym to the other.
Then we will move them back. :0

Ever done the "drywall overhead carry for distance"?
Old 09-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
Tim Weaver

Profile:
1,225? Um...gee...I just found out our trip got cancelled. ;)

And, yes, I've done the dry-wall carried overhead for distance thing. high school days...many a moon ago.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
Lincoln, your dumbell plan reminds me of a story:

Son: Dad, I want to be a drummer!
Dad: You do? Well, let's see if you're qualified.
Son: Oh, I am! I'm sure.
Dad: Do you see that pile of rocks way over there?
Son: Yes.
Dad: Move them all over here.
Son: Ok.
Dad: Then, when you're done with that, move them all back over there again...

(As a drummer of 15+ years, I will vouch there is much truth to the tale) :lame:
Old 09-02-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Oh, we'll have fun!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Tim, if you must have the 10lb nylon bumpers, then just be careful about not dropping them. OR, just use iron 10's and start with the bar on blocks to get the proper height for DL's.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:31 AM   #9
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Drumming can be a real kick in the nuts. Great exercise and great fun! (Former guitar player who'd hijack the drum set at every opportunity speaking here).
Old 09-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
John Frazer

Profile:
When I ordered my bumpers and Aluma-Lite bar from BFS, I asked what collars they recommended -- they said that until you get into really extraordinary amounts of weight or unusual movements, the $9.95 spring collars are all you need.