CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-13-2005, 07:39 AM   #1
Stephen Thrasher

Profile:  
I know this is a common problem. A friend of mine was doing 80 kg cleans at 10-second intervals, filling the gym with loud thumps. After everyone in the gym stared at him for two minutes, a trainer came over and told him he wasn't supposed to drop the weights from shoulder height because the platforms weren't made for it. Our gym has York barbells, York color-coded bumper plates, and York platforms that are 4" thick with rubber padding on the sides and wood flooring in the middle with the school logo on it. If I regularly drop 60-80 kg with good form (symmetrically, plates collared, guided with hands, not too much "change"), is there any danger of damaging the equipment? I'd like to be able to give the trainer what for and tell him that my back is worth more than a quiet gym.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
You can tell the trainer that this U.S.A.W. coach thinks he's an ignoramus. I will guarantee you he has never been to an Olympic weightlifting competition. 80kg from shoulder height? Those are toy weights. That equipment is made for 200 kilo weights to be dropped from overhead.

Tell him you're sorry for interrupting his naptime, but he should really quit sleeping on the job.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
William Williams

Profile:
Stephen, you're at MIT right? If so, I commiserate. The people who work at the Z-center are totalitarian.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
well what the hell are those platforms made for?!?!
Old 08-14-2005, 12:17 AM   #5
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Show him that Dimas 1993 movie posted on another thread ("Cool video"). Wow. Here's the link:

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Ironmind_1993_Dimas

(So that's what real lifts are supposed to look like!) Nice to have platforms and bumper plates where you work out. Too bad they don't seem to know what they're for.

Good luck,
Rene'
Old 08-14-2005, 06:49 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
After thinking about this, I've decide the best appropriate response would be,
"Exactly how would you know?"

Hammer him for details like, oh, does he even know the difference between plates made for the sport of weightlifting and those made for powerlifting ...

Once you've rapidly established he doesn't even know the difference between the two sports and/or has virtually no knowledge or experience with the sport of weightlifting and its equipment, you can proceed to tear him a new one.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
Stephen Thrasher

Profile:  
Thanks, Lincoln, for the ammunition. We'll see what happens with today's WOD, Elizabeth.

The Dimas video is inspiring.

William - yes, it was at the Z-Center. I'm going to see if they'll let us use the team weights at the indoor track so we can be out of the way and do the running/lifting WODs more easily. Maybe if we make CrossFit MIT an official club.

A friend of mine in undergrad had to switch from olympic lifting to powerlifting because dropping 140 kg shook the building and put a big frown on the facility manager's face. It made me so mad. Fortunately, the guy retired, and my friend went back to olympic lifting.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #8
William Williams

Profile:
Stephen - Actually, now that I think about it the upstairs track would be a great place to be for the WODs. I think they have just about everything, except they probably don't have bumpers up there. I don't know if they will let you, but I would say it's best to try in any case.

And actually, making Crossfit MIT an actual club would be a pretty smart idea. I think administration gives alot more leeway to clubs in such matters. Best of luck!