CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-19-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
Jay Jack

Profile:
Before I ask this let me say I'm an avid CF'er, I love the program, and am certainly not trying to find holes in it! Matter of fact, myself, my wife, and all of our other fighters do only CF as our conditioning routine. We love it that much. OK, now the question. As you know when you describe CF for the first time you will meet some questions and sometimes resistance. I've gotten my rap down pretty good, and can answer almost all the questions well. The one question I can't get past is how the WOD's are generated. Is there a method, or configuration to when the the workouts are done, or how often a particlar excercise is done, or is it totaly random. I get particular resistance when people get the image of coach going into a room by himself and when the white smoke rises we have a WOD. They want some science or at least a system. I obviously don't think CF is flawed but I push it REAL hard in our Academy so I'd like to have a better understanding. Does anyone know what the process is.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:14 AM   #2
Jay Jack

Profile:
anybody? I really do just want to be able to explain/defend CF programming to people. Does any one know?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
bill fox

Profile:

Buy the Feb '03 CF Journal which lays out "the template"
Old 04-20-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
Tom Brose

Profile:
First of all, theres no harm in trying to find holes. Thats how progress and improvemrent take place. I kind of like that I am not always sure of the exact "lesson" at hand, but quite often actually doing the workouts will answer that.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
Andy Deas

Profile:
At the February Crossfit Seminar someone asked Coach a question regarding that particular issue of the journal. If I recall correctly, coach responded that the Feb '03 CF Journal laid out one example of the Crossfit concept, but reinforced that as long as you meet the tenets of functionality, variation, and intensity then you are doing Crossfit.

I do most of my training at Crossfit Southwest and while we usually don't do the WOD as listed on the Crossfit website we certainly do Crossfit.

This is definitely more an art than a science and the Crossfit concepts can molded to meet any individual's requirements.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
Jim Butts

Profile:
Jay,

Good question. Unfortunately, the lack of timely and more specific replies says a lot about how difficult this one is to answer. The best thing would be to search the archives to get a sense of coach glassmans thinking on this, and see how it has evolved over time. I just did a quick search using the terms 'programming coach' and got some great hits. Read them all, but the 7th one down the list (Training cycle) is particularly pertinent. Also, search the actual workout archives to get a sense of the changing nature of the WODs and the patterns that emerge over time. Coach has said 'the art is in the programming' and this speaks to the 'black box' nature of the endeavor, do what works and throw out the rest and don't worry too much about why it works. Also, search the terms 'science coach twight' (especially the 2nd hit)to get a sense of the 'science' part of your question. An hour or two doing this will give you a much better sense of this whole thing. Unfortunately, there is no 'answer'.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
What's wrong with white smoke? It works in religion, why not fitness too? :happy:

I do wish I could explain the selection more effectively myself. I also realize that a strict explanation "locks in" what CF is and can become to a much greater extent, and I don't want that.

People who demand extensive explanations of everything aren't initially suited to CF at the beginning IMO. This is because they cannot grasp the "black box" concept. I leave them alone to watch their colleagues get stronger, faster, more explosive. Then they seem to let go of their information requirements more readily when they're getting smoked by CFers, while they're still doing their own workouts that they feel they "understand".

CF is very fluid and will never become concrete, due to its acceptance and potential adoption of any fitness modality that produces desired results. CF as it is right now is not the "final answer".
Old 04-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
Jason Billows

Profile:
I used to pursue different fitness approaches in a very analytical way. I wanted to know the why and how of everything. I'd usually end up reading something that would inevitably take me off on another tangent and fitness craze. While I saw small gains here and there, they never stayed.

When I found CF I decided to take the blind faith approach. I told myself to forget about how and why and just do it. Before long the how and why was being answered by experience and I was seeing great results. That's enough reason for me stick with it.

If you can convince these information seekers to dedicate some time to following CF their answers will come quite quickly. Otherwise I expect they'll continue to ask, never understand and never reap the rewards CF has to offer.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Well put, Jason!

I say that because I was the same way. Over time, the Renegade Training, triathlons, KBs, Escalating Density Training, OL, and PL knowledge/experience was all put together and given context within CF. I'd like to thank Tom Corrigan for sharing his "faith" with me (at a KB convention, no less! Blasphemer!)

Experience is the greatest teacher. Or as moms like to say, "You'll never know how good it is until you try it!" Or an even better mom quote for this thread: "You sure you don't want any? Fine, more for me then!":happy:
Old 04-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'd add that there has been an evolution to CF programming. It's getting harder. This is an art, Coach puts a particularly killer wod together and when it crushed almost everyone he says "oops...looked good on paper, next time I'd do it with rounds of 15 reps". As long as everyone lives no harm, no foul. My guess is with years of this, you get a pretty good idea what is elite and what is eliteX10. The focus days (ie. Deadlift 1-1-1-1-1-1-1) are pretty new, within a year. I believe they were put in due to feedback from the community. CF is a living, breathing thing...witness the incorporation of The Pit and Woody's "Free Running". Open source, everyone contributes, it's a beautiful thing!