CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Joel Guindon

Profile:  
First, I would like to say HI to all the CrossFit community and Happy New Year.

Second, here is my question: I have been trainning seriously for 2 years, mixing cardio and weights. I lost 35 pounds in 1 years. I am 35 years old, weigh 205 pounds at 6"2'. The cardio I do is a mix of "circuit training" and running...the weights are your regular "1 muscle group a day" spread out over 5 days. I've been doing programs based on strenght and endurance. I feel like I've hit a wall and want to try something new. I recently was told by a friend of mine who's been following the WODs on this web site and says "They are great".

I want to know if it's a stand alone trainning where I will still add muscle or I should continue the weights? I feel like doing the WODs, the weights and the cardio could lead to "over trainning"...So what are the recommendations?

To help you out in your recommendations: here are my goals:

1-endurance
2-strenght
3-add muscle, get bigger but not huge, I cannot compromise speed for weight.

I eat healthy, sleep 8 hrs per night and all around try to follow a healthy life style.

Thx for your time...

Joel

(Message edited by Recon_mp on January 02, 2006)

(Message edited by Recon_mp on January 02, 2006)
Old 01-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
It is definitely a stand-alone training modality. Start slow and work your way up to 100% intensity on the WOD's, then if you feel the need, add some extra focus in the areas you'd like more work. Usually this is reserved for skill training (olympic lifting form or gymnastics) or playing a sport.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Doing the WOD, plus your weight and cardio rountines will defintely be over training. As you said, the WOD is "stand alone training," and will in itself allow you to achieve your goals.

If you are already very strong, you may find that doing the WOD will make you a little bit weaker, since it focus' more on endurance than strength. But if you are not alrady super string, then the WOD will indeed get you stronger.

However, in regards to endurance, doing the WOD will give you great endurance not only for running, but a much more functional endurance that carries over into every activity even more so than running does.

In regards to building muscle, doing only the WOD will help you there as well. High rep weight training like most WOD's and bodybuilding builds more size than low rep training. But that's where the similarity between CrossFit and bodybuilding end, because CrossFit uses functional multi-joint exercises which have have a greater "nueroendocrine response" which are even better for hypertrophy than bodybuilding style isolation exercises. This is why in the FAQ (http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm#General4) CrossFit without steriods is ranked above bodybuilding without steriods.

Good luck training.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
First of all...no over training, just under recovery. Second, do todays WOD "Linda" and you tell us if you need to do your bodybuilding or cardio program. Best way to learn is to go for it. Lighten up the load though, you need to ramp up slowly.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
Joel Guindon

Profile:  
Thx for the comments, I appreciate it.

Larry: I did the "LINDA" WOD and BOOM, I don't need to do anymore chest or leg workouts....but I'll go for a slow 40 minute run, zone 1, just run the lactic acids out.

But this is definitly stand alone.

Joel

Old 01-03-2006, 05:41 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Excellent job Joel!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Joel Guindon

Profile:  
Thx Larry