CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
Michael Lindsey

Profile:  
Man, I trashed about three titles before squeezing all that into the top line. Basically, I've been out of the gym for three months. First, I had physical therapy for a bone spur in my shoulder... right after I got the ok to hit the gym on that, I ended up in the ER because I found that I had an abcessing cyst!

(Too much info, right? Sorry.)

Anyhow, I've gotten all the doc's go-ahead. Ease into it, they say, but I'm 100% cleared to return to the gym. First couple days back, I've just been doing deadlift, squat, bench press. On the off days, I've run. Thing is, I've got the PT test for my application to a local police department in about a month. Right now, I meet all the MINIMUM requirements.

Situps: 37 required, I'm at 48.
Sit n' Reach: 13 inches, I'm between 16-17.
1.5 mile run: 13:58 required (HA!), right now I'm at about 12:00, and dropping between 15-20 secs between runs. Three months without cardio HURTS, man.
Bench: 98% of body weight (176 for me) required. Yesterday I did 195 twice.

So, the two areas that I suck most in are bench and the run. But with a month left, by the time I finish getting back into the swing of CrossFit, it'll be time for my test!

What do I do, Crossfitters? What's the best way to get ready?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Well since nobody has said it yet... I will.

Do crossfit. Follow the WODS as posted. See what happens. Instead of running distance run sprints for twenty minutes. Up hill. MWHAHAHAHA. Sorry.

Also I would say make sure that your diet is really really good. Most here would say Zone or Paleo, I personally follow the 'don't eat it if it comes in a package' mentality, and I repeat this often.

Oh yeah. Get a good nights sleep. Every night.

Have fun buddy... rock the test and then send us your results. I like seeing by how much crossfitters destroy these types of tests...
Old 12-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Ken Thynes

Profile:
Micheal,
Ian pretty much hit the nail on the head. As long as you keep challenging yourself and keep a good attitude, you shouldn't have a problem. I've learned from experience that brute force and ignorance can get you through a lot!
I had to do another physical fitness test for work in October, and I was a little concerned, having not done any running all summer-just the occasional WOD/modified WOD when work allowed. The test wasn't a military one, but a LE test like you're getting ready for. I figured Crossfit had me pretty conditioned, but a couple other things can drive a person, for challenges, such as: fear of failure (I sure didn't want to miss out on more good work, or want to tell buddies I couldn't hack a measly LE test), fear of other's perception of you (you DON'T wanna look like a weakling in the crowd I work with), and fear of letting yourself down (after all I've done in life, washing out of a cheesy LE test would make me want to hang myself).
I smoked throught the agility tests, stretching, bench, ect. No problems there. Then came time for the run. I figured- " I can't show my *** in the company I'm in, I'm in decent shape, and I've done enough hell runs and other suck things in life that this should be easy." I did the run and ran through crossfit slogans in my head while I did it, just trying to pace with fast runners and stay ahead of the guys behind me (for the record-I hate running against recently EAS'd SOF people after being out so long). Anyway, I ended up getting the same run time as I would have in the service when I was in great running shape (for me anyway)! So, If my short, slow *** can do it after sporatic Crossfitting, you should be able to too. Just keep a strong head, keep working out, and gut it out 'mano. Crossfit Rules!
Old 12-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Great advice from Ken. He got it right... Crossfit prepares you thoroughly for any physical challenge. That's the beauty of the program. Where else would you do deads and handstand push ups in the same workout??? Or even in the same week?? I echo the statement...Crossfit Rules!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
John Burket

Profile:
I would recommend isometrics to build up your bench presses. Just sandwich yourself between two door jambs and push for 10 seconds. Repeat every four days. I only weight 175, yet I can push 330 lbs on a bathroom scale.

johnb
http://sookagym.tripod.com