CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Was about to jump head first into the zone, when upon doing research on the web about the diet I ran across several web sites that basically said that the zone was to caloric restrictive for performance as well as to hard to follow. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, If I go ahead and start the zone, how many blocks do I need? I weigh 215 lbs. I am 6'0" tall. I can barely see my abs. Barely!

I definetely want to drop 20 lbs, as I feel way to heavy.

Any thoughts and advice would be great.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Athletes add calories via fat.

I'd buy one of the books; the method of calculating your block prescription is a little lengthy to just quote off.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Ian Carver

Profile:
Jeff,

My wife and I personally are very happy with the Zone. It has proven results for both of us. We follow the rules and stay pretty true to the numbers, but we are not Zone nazis, and it still has great benefits. Everyone is different though, so once you get into it you can do some tweaking to find out how to make it work best for you.

The diet is not necessarily calorie restrictive. You do consume less calories via food intake, but due to the chemical and hormonal changes taking place in the body when food is consumed in correct portions, your body can tap into fat stores providing more calories to burn for fuel. Fat (the proper kinds) is a good thing and it allows you to get leaner and works as a great energy source. Also, it has been shown that calorie restrictive diets are proving to have health benefits. As Americans, we eat waaaay too much at each sitting and it does us no good.

As Brandon said, buy the books. You can get them way cheap at www.half.com. Purchase Enter the Zone and Mastering the Zone. There is a ton of good info in them and the reading is not complicated and pretty interesting. It will change the way you look at food and eating.

The link below from Frontrange CF is a great quick overview of the Zone diet and is a good thing to save for reference. There are also a couple other good threads in this forum on the Zone that have some helpful info in them as well.

http://frontrangecrossfit.typepad.com/nutrition/files/the_zone_diet_for_crossfit .pdf

I say give it a try for a month and be strict about it. See what results you have and make a decision as to whether you want to continue with it. Good luck.

Both links w/f safe.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Thanks for the response, I will follow the recomendations.

Jeff
Old 07-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
Tim Davis

Profile:
Thanks for the link, Ian. That really helped and clarified things until I get my books and CFJs.

Also, not to hi-jack the thread, but what about "the Athletes Zone?" I've seen that elsewhere here but can't seem to find it. Is it another book? Or just an add-on type thing done on the side somewhere..?
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:
That is the Zone with the aforementioned additional fat.