CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
Philip Crosby

Profile:
Re: An interesting conversation while shopping for Vibram's today.

Just wondering, is there a reason a lot of you guys don't lift in Vibrams? I do EVERYTHING in Vibrams. Run, O-lift, box jump, go to Wal-Mart, everything. I love them. I have never noticed any pain or anything in my knees other than the normal tendon tightness of being in my 30's. Not criticizing, just curious as to some of you guys reasons for not wearing them. I will say my deadlift went way up since wearing them. I am 5'6" 162 and right now I am at about 265-275 when I do my sets of 5. About 4 months ago I could barely do 225 3 times. The only thing that changed was my shoes. Not saying that all of it is the shoes, but I do feel more stable in them.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #22
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

I'm flat footed and like wearing flat shoes (except for the occasions that call for sexy high heels) and I can olift with flat shoes as well, but a minimalist shoe will never replace my oly shoes for serious lifting. I deadlift better with heels, too. And my oly shoes don't have an annoyingly high arch like most athletic shoes.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #23
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
I deadlift better with heels, too.
How does that work though? Oly shoes are made to make the movement more anterior, as is evident by allowing you to come out of a front squat easier after a clean, correct?

But if you take the deadllift, which is a mainly posterior movement, would it not be detrimental to turn it more anterior?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #24
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Daniel - some people benefit from being able to engage their quads more. Personally, I like deadlifting barefoot and squatting with weightlifting shoes, but if I were to practice it more, DLing with O shoes wouldn't be that big a deal.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #25
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Crosby View Post
Just wondering, is there a reason a lot of you guys don't lift in Vibrams? I do EVERYTHING in Vibrams. Run, O-lift, box jump, go to Wal-Mart, everything. I love them. I have never noticed any pain or anything in my knees other than the normal tendon tightness of being in my 30's. Not criticizing, just curious as to some of you guys reasons for not wearing them. I will say my deadlift went way up since wearing them. I am 5'6" 162 and right now I am at about 265-275 when I do my sets of 5. About 4 months ago I could barely do 225 3 times. The only thing that changed was my shoes. Not saying that all of it is the shoes, but I do feel more stable in them.
Philip - I used to squat in my vibrams. As the weight got heavier, it became more and more stressful for me to squat in them (deadlifting is a different matter, but I do that barefoot anyway). Now that I have my weightlifting shoes, I would never want to switch to vibrams for squatting.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #26
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Crosby View Post
When you're jumping and landing (i.e. Oly lifting) with 200+lbs overhead, it's nice for your feet to have a little additional protection and stability.

A flat, stable sole with a slight heel is also a better setup for squatting.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #27
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

On a slightly different note:
I was wearing my vibrams today, and standing outside of the gym talking to my coach before we headed out to running practice.

i hear all these grade 9s (like 5 of them) saying "those shoes are sick" and talking to each other about them. i ignore them and continue talking to my coach. I look down, and one kid is FEELING MY FOOT IN HIS HAND TO SEE WHAT MY SHOES FEEL LIKE. No asking, no warning, he just GRABBED MY FOOT. TWICE.

WTF???
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #28
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
How does that work though? Oly shoes are made to make the movement more anterior, as is evident by allowing you to come out of a front squat easier after a clean, correct?

But if you take the deadllift, which is a mainly posterior movement, would it not be detrimental to turn it more anterior?
I don't really know. All I know is I've tried pulling heavy without shoes and I can't pull as much. Maybe I've just gotten used to pulling this way. Who knows, if I practiced deadlifts barefoot, I may be able to build up to my 'shod' deadlift weight.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #29
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
I don't really know. All I know is I've tried pulling heavy without shoes and I can't pull as much. Maybe I've just gotten used to pulling this way. Who knows, if I practiced deadlifts barefoot, I may be able to build up to my 'shod' deadlift weight.
Interestig. Well if it wirks, don't stop :P
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #30
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
On a slightly different note:
I was wearing my vibrams today, and standing outside of the gym talking to my coach before we headed out to running practice.

i hear all these grade 9s (like 5 of them) saying "those shoes are sick" and talking to each other about them. i ignore them and continue talking to my coach. I look down, and one kid is FEELING MY FOOT IN HIS HAND TO SEE WHAT MY SHOES FEEL LIKE. No asking, no warning, he just GRABBED MY FOOT. TWICE.

WTF???
I think he likes you...