CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Mike Barin
Member Mike Barin is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Weiden  Germany
Posts: 34
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

You'll meet NCO's at your upcoming duty station who have been on the trail, they'll give you information. Give yourself some time though, you got some development as a soldier and eventually as a junior NCO to do
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Smith View Post
I know some but i was under the impression that we werent really supposed to talk to our drills? Id like some non BS answers but idk any drills. I could speak to some.of my drills if i wanted but i doubt theyd msg me back.
Wait, have you not gone to boot camp yet? I'm a little confused. Or are you only a few months out? If so, I agree with Mike that you've got a long way ahead of you before you need to worry about that next step.

If you already graduated, there's nothing wrong with sending a professionally-written email to your former hats and asking them for career-type advice. I know plenty of my DIs kept up with some of their former recruits while they were at SOI, follow-on schools, and operational units, so I can't imagine it being much different on the Army side.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
James A Wade
Member James A Wade is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: El Paso  TX
Posts: 49
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

Also to be a drill Sgt you better start working on your pt. It also will take a while. Most drill Sgt are E-6 and higher. You dont see very many E-5 being drill sgt. Its also a hard life. Its usually a 2 year cycle with as you might have noticed little or no life. Good luck to you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
Summer Smith
Member Summer Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Raleigh  NC
Posts: 19
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

I have grduated boot and school. Ive been in for about a year. Im not sayin i am ready i am just saying thats wht id like to do as far as being on the right track. My PT is good and i will continue to get better. I had a drill who was 25 and i figure if it sonething i want to do i mind as well get on the right track. But i am a medic so thats my job but id like to eventually get the experience.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
James A Wade
Member James A Wade is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: El Paso  TX
Posts: 49
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Smith View Post
I have grduated boot and school. Ive been in for about a year. Im not sayin i am ready i am just saying thats wht id like to do as far as being on the right track. My PT is good and i will continue to get better. I had a drill who was 25 and i figure if it sonething i want to do i mind as well get on the right track. But i am a medic so thats my job but id like to eventually get the experience.
Good luck then. Work hard and you will get there. I'm also a medic. Graduated D comp may 2010. If you have a chance get your EFMB. It looks good and gives you promotion points.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
Philip Crosby
Member Philip Crosby is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Camp Lejeune  NC
Posts: 10
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

I was a Drill INSTRUCTOR (thats what Marines call them so please don't call me a Drill Sgt, we hate that). I will tell you that combat is less demanding than that job is. I mean that too. I have seen my fair share of both and I would rather get shot at. At least I know the shooting is going to end. Being a "hat" is the most physically and especially emotionally demanding job around. Being a prick all day isn't fun nor is it easy. Sometimes you just want to break down and talk to a recruit and tell him how to do something. However, that's not the way. You must scream at him and make it the most stressful instruction you can so he can do it under the worst possible circumstances. If you have a family, I wouldn't recommend it. If you have a family and you have even the slightest marital problems, I definitely wouldn't do it. Being a hat will only magnify marital problems 100 fold. Marine Drill Instructors typically lose between 25-40lbs in the first 3 weeks of a training cycle. That is because you are on your feet running and screaming for 18 hours plus each day with minimal time to eat or drink water. By minimal I mean you better eat before the lights come on in the squadbay and after they go off because if a recruit is awake and doing something, you are there making sure he is doing it right. Not to turn this into a Army vs Marine thing but I know that Army Drill Sgt's don't do quite what we do for as long. Our recruit training is 13 weeks vice 8 (I believe it may have changed to 10) for you guys. I have crosstrained with Army Drill Sgts so I'm not pulling this off Youtube or something. The Army way of training soldiers is vastly different from our way. That's just the way it is. Hope this helps. If you have more questions, please let me know. BTW, it doesn't matter how good your pt is. You have to be mentally strong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #17
James A Stevens
Member James A Stevens is offline
 
James A Stevens's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lane Cove  NSW Australia
Posts: 273
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Crosby View Post
I was a Drill INSTRUCTOR (thats what Marines call them so please don't call me a Drill Sgt, we hate that). I will tell you that combat is less demanding than that job is. I mean that too. I have seen my fair share of both and I would rather get shot at. At least I know the shooting is going to end. Being a "hat" is the most physically and especially emotionally demanding job around. Being a prick all day isn't fun nor is it easy. Sometimes you just want to break down and talk to a recruit and tell him how to do something. However, that's not the way. You must scream at him and make it the most stressful instruction you can so he can do it under the worst possible circumstances. If you have a family, I wouldn't recommend it. If you have a family and you have even the slightest marital problems, I definitely wouldn't do it. Being a hat will only magnify marital problems 100 fold. Marine Drill Instructors typically lose between 25-40lbs in the first 3 weeks of a training cycle. That is because you are on your feet running and screaming for 18 hours plus each day with minimal time to eat or drink water. By minimal I mean you better eat before the lights come on in the squadbay and after they go off because if a recruit is awake and doing something, you are there making sure he is doing it right. Not to turn this into a Army vs Marine thing but I know that Army Drill Sgt's don't do quite what we do for as long. Our recruit training is 13 weeks vice 8 (I believe it may have changed to 10) for you guys. I have crosstrained with Army Drill Sgts so I'm not pulling this off Youtube or something. The Army way of training soldiers is vastly different from our way. That's just the way it is. Hope this helps. If you have more questions, please let me know. BTW, it doesn't matter how good your pt is. You have to be mentally strong.
Yep, what he said, so true. I have trained military in a different country (Africa - no names no pack drill) in my "youth". Looong days, looong nights and you have to be on your sh+t at all times., uniform perfect appearance perfect and fit.

So then there are the daily meetings to discuss progress, weekly meeting to discuss progress. Then there is the actual training, Drill, PT, weapons training, admin training, personal care training, inspections, route marches, punishment parades, and god knows what else!.

Disciplining recruits is also difficult, sometimes you can see guys are trying but you still have to bust their b+lls.

My hat goes of to those that can do this for any length of time!!

Reading back over what I have written I am amazed I could pull it off in the first place!!!!!!!!
__________________
"The nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten." Maurice, Soldier & Emperor (A.D. 582-602)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
Mike Watson
Member Mike Watson is offline
 
Mike Watson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: State College  PA
Posts: 212
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

I did a tour as an FMSS instructor and a tour at the recruit depot in San Diego back when I was a Corpsman. The killhats all seemed to have a love hate relationship with their job. I'd hear some of the most frustrated miserable people that wouldn't want to be doing anything else. It was the same thing when I instructed. Good times.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
Summer Smith
Member Summer Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Raleigh  NC
Posts: 19
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

Thanks for all your guys input.

Yes I do know marines are called drill instructors and I would not insult you by calling them drill sgts. That is just what we call them in the army lol. I understand all u said and I can only imagine the stress of the job. I do not have a family nor a husband and couldn't possibly imagine having that position with a family. When I was at basic I most of my drills have families and they were ALWAYS with us rather then their families. Long nights and early mornings. I'm not even sure i ever saw them eat. Like. He said from what I have seen some have a love hate relationship with that position. Some told us they loved their job and some never said whether they did or not. I had one drill who u could almost tell that they would've rather showed us ways of doing things with out screaming in our face but just couldn't. I honestly think it's a very respectable position and I take my hate off to u for being a drill instructor. Basic is now 10 weeks of training. I am not in the marines but I have noticed that a lot depends on the NCO appointed to being a drill. Some were better than others and some didn't even yell. I also don't mean to start and army vs marines debate, marines training is longer. I have a friend in the marines who told me of his experience and it didn't seem any worse than mine. Just like my some companies that were in my battalion were guinea pigs for "low stress" training. Went to bed early, got 8 hrs of sleep, and drills were less strict to create a less stressful environment and focus on training more...I don't really agree with it but I don't get paid for my opinions on that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #20
James A Stevens
Member James A Stevens is offline
 
James A Stevens's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lane Cove  NSW Australia
Posts: 273
Re: Life of a Drill Sgt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Smith View Post
I have a friend in the marines who told me of his experience and it didn't seem any worse than mine. Just like my some companies that were in my battalion were guinea pigs for "low stress" training. Went to bed early, got 8 hrs of sleep, and drills were less strict to create a less stressful environment and focus on training more...I don't really agree with it but I don't get paid for my opinions on that.
Gee, a low stress company (we had platoons in my day/Army) would have been nice. We seemed to specialize in the full strenght variety.

Cool story to emphasis. To make a point about alway securing weapons the following demonstation was undertaken.

We were put on parade and being yelled at as always about our general inability in regards our drill when around the barracks corner come three guys in ODs, faces made up in camo brandishing three of our FN's who then proceeded to unload said weapons. It was nice to see I and the rest of our platoon could move a light speed when needed! Anyway I can assure you a suitably fun day ensued.
__________________
"The nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten." Maurice, Soldier & Emperor (A.D. 582-602)
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firefighters please advise - heading to drill school next week Travis Rask Fitness 0 07-28-2008 10:36 PM
Warmup Drill Lincoln Brigham Community 3 09-06-2007 12:33 AM
Very Cool Kettlebell Drill, CrossFit Philly Represent Jason C. Brown Exercises 7 07-20-2006 03:12 AM
10 minute drill Stephane Rochet Exercises 9 02-16-2005 11:10 PM
10 minute drill Stephane Rochet Exercises 7 03-15-2004 09:18 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.