CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #51
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Re: Wearing a belt

Physical therapists are not trainers or strength and conditioning coaches. Their specialty is rehab and prehab.

And the recommendation for belts is when things get heavy, as in repetitions with >85% of your 1RM. The whole purpose of a belt is to increase intra-abdominal pressure, nothing more, nothing less. If you are changing your movement patterns with a belt on, you are screwing up. You are doing it wrong and have been doing it wrong all along.

Last edited by Brian Degenaro : 05-08-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #52
David Joseph Danaher

Profile:

Was researching this a bit and found this. Not sure where I stand on the issue.

http://stronglifts.com/files/weight-belts.pdf (wfs)

It seems that belts do no harm as long as one is always using proper form, but that they can do harm if one compromises form for weight. On the other hand it seems that some can get stronger with one then without. I am not convinced enough on the need to get one yet. I am not so concerned with my CFT to warrant training differently than I have been for a few pounds on the deadlift. Maybe that will change....

Regardless of the answer, however, I dislike sites like 70sbig where their attitude is "Do this or your an f***ing idiot." It's obvious that the answer is not obvious. This attitude turns me off to those who harness it, for any argument they hold, no matter how much I agree in the first place. But I digress...
Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #53
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Joseph Danaher View Post
Regardless of the answer, however, I dislike sites like 70sbig where their attitude is "Do this or your an f***ing idiot." It's obvious that the answer is not obvious. This attitude turns me off to those who harness it, for any argument they hold, no matter how much I agree in the first place. But I digress...
If you think about it, the 70sbig attitude of "wear a belt or you're a f***ing idiot" is not so different from the CF attitude of "squat to below parallel or you're a f***ing idiot". In both cases, the answer is not immediately obvious, but many very strong, very experienced people agree on what should be done, and the arguments to the contrary are mostly ideological rather than physiological.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #54
Mike Mallory

Profile:

I certainly wouldn't say it's ideological when you can try both very easy and simply and see what works for you.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #55
Trevor Shaw

Profile:

Seems to me the belt is fine for heavy squats and deads. If nothing else it provides a little extra mental security for the lift. This is obvious to anyone who has ever stood under or tried to pull a significant amount of weight. They just know that the belt helps.

I think the anti-belt argument comes into play more for the people who wear them to do curls, bench press and other exercises that don't demand maximal recruitment and extra support of the transverse abdominus (our internal weight belt). We have all seen the guy who wears a belt for his 2 hour workout and never takes it off once and we know its not the best idea.

What it should come down to is this. If you are hitting 85% + of your 1RM and you feel more comfortable putting a belt on to do so, THEN DO IT!!!. If you feel safer preforming the lift and some clown tells you the belt is a joke they probably aren't strong anyway and tell them to **** off. The same goes the other way. If you are working speed sets, reps at a cadence, or any lift that doesn't create a ridiculous amount of intra-abdominal pressure and you are comfortable not using a belt, THEN DON'T!

Its foolish to take a definite stance on either end of the spectrum when its obvious that we are all here for different reasons and sports. Obviously a power lifter needs the belt more than a gymnast or runner would.

Last edited by Trevor Shaw : 05-09-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #56
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Ok, so I purcahsed a 4" wide all the way around leather belt and have been using it for the last 7-10 days. I've BS 2x, DL once, and SPressed 2x.

BS: used belt on my work sets of 5x3setsx365lbs yesterday and I don't really think I'm noticing much of a difference. This weight is getting close to my current max for this rep scheme
DL: Did one set of 5 with 375lb and again, don't feel much diff, I have another 30-40lbs to go before hitting max with this rep scheme.

SP: I think the belt is helping most here. I recently reset from complete fail at 5x3sets at 149, did 5 x 3sets at 140 yesterday without too much difficulty.

In summary, I'm not feeling a big diff, and it also has not been long enough to judge. I feel like I'm still getting used to wearing a belt period.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #57
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Ok, so I purcahsed a 4" wide all the way around leather belt and have been using it for the last 7-10 days. I've BS 2x, DL once, and SPressed 2x.

BS: used belt on my work sets of 5x3setsx365lbs yesterday and I don't really think I'm noticing much of a difference. This weight is getting close to my current max for this rep scheme
DL: Did one set of 5 with 375lb and again, don't feel much diff, I have another 30-40lbs to go before hitting max with this rep scheme.

SP: I think the belt is helping most here. I recently reset from complete fail at 5x3sets at 149, did 5 x 3sets at 140 yesterday without too much difficulty.

In summary, I'm not feeling a big diff, and it also has not been long enough to judge. I feel like I'm still getting used to wearing a belt period.
The belt isn't meant to give an instant difference in your lifts. It is used to make you stronger faster over time.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #58
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Did you read this part: "it also has not been long enough to judge" ??

Yea, I'm at 3x5 at almost 2xbw, I've figured out a couple things thus far.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #59
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Honestly I did miss that part.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #60
Ian Nigh

Profile:

getting a belt and Oly shoes has made a huge difference for me. In the last month I have increased my squat 1RM by 10 kilos after being stalled for several months, and today I did 5x5 with my previous 1RM. Lower back/SI issues had been keeping me from going heavy. By belting up for the heavy loads I am increasing my strength and my thoracic stability. For me it's clear as day.