CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Jason Billows

Profile:
I have taken video footage of myself rowing and compared it to online video instruction. For the most part I have good form, but I can't find any feedback on this one particular question...

When I come forward in the catch I find that my heels have a tendency to lift off of the foot plates. The lift is barely even noticable on my videos, but it happens.

If I come into the catch quickly and my heels raise slightly I start leg extension of the next row segment partially on the ball of my foot, not pushing through the heels. This seems less efficient for me so I started trying to stop my heels from rising on the catch and then being able to extend my legs and push through the heels. The problem is that I feel like I'm now holding back on my catch and not returning to my starting position as quickly as I did before.

I consider my calves and achilles to be fairly flexible and even if I did gain more flexibility I would assume that there would always be an end point to the catch that would experience this problem. Correct?

Any thoughts on proper form and overcoming any problems would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Anita Tyler

Profile:
I've just started rowing; experienced the same thing; and was going to post the question. I, too, would appreciate any guidance. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Kevin Burns

Profile:
i have the same problem but its because of the terrible straps on the C2 rowers they have. They keep loosening up and I have to re-tighten them in mid-row. Very annoying
Old 04-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Guys;
Suggest you post question to C2, but for what it's worth, most of my longer rowing over 5k is done without the straps, as that is a very sound method to learn proper rowing technique. Only for the short sprints do I use the straps, and it's very easy to just tuck the end of the strap into the other strap that is wrapping your foot. The few rowing shells that I have been in do not even use straps, as tipping over with feet strapped thens to get sketchy. And for the record, the Straps aren't terrible or poorly designed, your technique is lacking and your just trying to muscle the pull. It's just like a Oly move, drive from the heals, foot is always flat. Try rowing in bare feet or at least without the straps, and then try to develop power, whole new ball game.

Again, just my two cents, email C2 or call, great folks, you might check out their US website or the UK site, both wealth of info.

Jay
Old 04-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I recall a rowing form trouble shooting article to mention removing the straps as a way to fix either going to far back or the heels coming up. I think it was only one of the two. Sorry.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
Ewen Roth

Profile:
You shouldn't worry too much about your heel coming up slightly. If it's barely noticeable, it's a minor flexibility issue. You can work on your calf/Achilles flexibility to resolve this.

On the other hand, your shins should be vertical (not past vertical) at the catch, so you should ask yourself if your heels rising enables you to get your shins vertical, or causes you to go too far forward.

Concentrate mainly on getting your feet flat again as soon as possible for a powerful drive, and you should be fine.

There are forums on the C2 website with plenty of knowledgeable people.

PS for Jay: rowing shells above the beginner level usually have straps, and racing shells even have shoes bolted to the footboard. Tipping over isn't supposed to be an issue at that point of course ;-) but unless you get knocked out or something it's not that hard to "escape". I've certainly lived to tell you about it!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Ewen;
My attempts at rowing a shell have be laughable, but I do plan to get down to the Three Rivers Rowing club in Pittsburgh for some lessons on the river. The thought of skimming along "smoothly" at dawn with the sun coming up, yea ha.
Thanks for the correction.

Jay
Old 04-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
Ewen Roth

Profile:
Learning to balance your body mainly through hand position is definitely hard at first. My on-water technique never improved past 'so-so' back when I was rowing, even after a few years of practice. But just getting the basics down is enough to make it a very enjoyable sport.

Good luck with your lessons.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
it's amazing how the technology has improved for "foot stretchers".

w/f safe link foot stretchers

Can one mount this type of foot stretcher to a C2?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Roark Marsh

Profile:
I have to second (or third?) rowing without straps as a means to improve technique. Especially as I started rowing, doing so without straps makes every form/technique mistake more obvious, rather than ignorable.