CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
Oliver Platt

Profile:
Workout before Breakfast? Raw Eggs or Cooked?

Newbie here, great site . I'm about two weeks into CrossFit and gaining considerable fitness and mass as it is but I've only just got around to taking my diet into consideration.

I'm an 18 (soon 19) year old male, 5'5" and 135lbs soaking wet.

I do eat well, I just know I could eat a whole lot better, so I've got a couple of questions to put down to make sure I'm set.

1. How does working out before breakfast compare with working out afterwards?

Will working out after a long fast, doing a WOD full of tabata pull-ups or lifts, eat my muscle mass? Would I grow in strength and size better if I fueled my body with protein and carbs before hand to stop my muscles going catabolic, or is the time of nutrition not particularly important as long as I do actually feed myself afterwards?

2. How are raw eggs?

I don't have the stones to go and chug one right now, so I need to know if they're agreeable at all. I consume a pretty good quantity of eggs as is, along with tuna, but unlike tuna, eggs take at least 10-15 mins prep time which I just don't have in the mornings.

3. Can anyone give me a link to some good examples on snacks and meal suggestions?

I need something decent to chomp on in or between meals or while I'm out at college. I was thinking about some packed up hard-boiled eggs but other than that I've no idea. I also can't eat peanuts, I suffer from a mild allergy that makes eating them too uncomfortable to be practical, most other nuts are fair game. I need anything really that allows me to up my protein and carb intake without having to sit down and force feed myself 50lbs of fish in one go.

4. How is the Zone diet?

I still need to do my research, but from what I can glean its a very efficient, balanced diet program designed for healthy people. Would you recommend I sort a program out for myself?

Lastly... Cheers for the excellent workout program. So easy to follow, so accessible and so far very effective. Never before have I actually bolted out of bed at 6:00am with lust for exercise.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Kyle Symoniak

Profile:
Re: Workout before Breakfast? Raw Eggs or Cooked?

1) I can't help much here. Not enough research and reading on my part, so I'll defer to others.

2) Search 'Raw Eggs' on the forum; you could even try limiting the results by searching only the title. Decent info there. A quick read reveals that a fair amount of people put them in smoothies, but there's more you might be interested in.

3 & 4) I think most people would recommend that you start the Zone in order to dial in nutrition, yes. If nothing else, at least as a starting point. For free stuff, you can always check out http://www.zonediet.com (wfs) which is the Dr. Sears' site, the author of 'Enter the Zone.'

Consider sparing $5 and pick up CFJ 21 (wfs). There's quite a few snack ideas included. 'Master the Zone' by Barry Sears is a book you can find fairly cheap on Amazon, etc. that lays out the basics and includes a ton of recipes.

Wow, that got long...
Old 02-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Sushil Bharatan

Profile:

Boil and peel eggs in advance so you have them ready for the morning or for a snack.

Last edited by Sushil Bharatan : 02-20-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

1.) This is a little dependent on you. I Intermittent Fast and work out both mornings and evenings, but save the WOD for the morning when I'm in the middle of my fast. I find that it energizes me for the rest of the day, leaves me wanting water more than food, and has had only positive effects on my performance -- encourages me to get to sleep earlier and to get 8 hours.

I think from what I've read, if you work out during a fast, you tend to not lose the muscle mass, provided that when you break the fast, you're getting enough protein to make up the difference. Working out while in a fasted state has been a GREAT fat burner for me, personally. I fast from about 12:00am through 8:00pm the next day, so my WOD usually comes around 8:00 or 9:00 am, followed by 10-12 more hours of fasting.

2.) iirc, eggs are best either raw or boiled. Scrambled is the least preferred method, but it's the method I choose most of the time, because it's honestly quicker than boiling them. I've always liked them hard boiled, so I've never bothered eating them raw. But in a smoothie you won't even notice them.

3.) and 4.)
Zone's the best place to start. It's a great gateway to the other great eating lifestyles: Paleo and Intermittent Fasting. For me, I started on the Zone, then moved towards Paleo + Zone, then towards just Paleo for a while, then Paleo + IF + Zone

CFJ #21 is a free issue, so no need to front the $5. "Mastering the Zone" by Dr. Barry Sears is a good start. And... well... every other thread in the Nutrition forum is filled with nearly identical discussions of what to do and what not to do on the Zone. Read a lot here, and you'll be set for life.

When college students ask, I always recommend at least researching Intermittent Fasting at some point. I wihs I'd known about it back in my college days, because it fit my lifestyle perfectly.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Matt Strawn

Profile:

Oliver,
This is probably the only topic where I see eye to eye with body builders. I have always been a fan of eating before I work out in the morning and I recommend that you give it a try if your schedule permits. Like you said, after fasting for 6 to 8 (or more) hours, your body is in a catabolic state (i.e. breaking down muscle tissue for fuel). Breakfast puts an end to this. I have never tried Fran first thing in the morning, nor do I ever want to, but I know that my performance would suffer if I skipped breakfast.
I highly recommend the Zone. Read Enter the Zone to grasp the basic principles and take it from there. Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
Kyle Symoniak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
CFJ #21 is a free issue, so no need to front the $5.
Ach! I want my five bucks back!!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Jason Watson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Symoniak View Post
Ach! I want my five bucks back!!
yeah, me to.. ohh well honestly it was 5$ well spent.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
Oliver Platt

Profile:

Thanks for your time guys!

I should probably mention that I only need to workout before breakfast on Mondays and Tuesdays, when a WOD falls on a different day I have perfect oppertunity to eat well before a workout. After reading your feedback, I really don't think hitting up the odd WOD on a Monday or Tuesday will stop me from growing, especially if I'm doing the majority of WODs on a fueled body. However, if I can, I will restructure my days to allow me to workout after food.

I'm reading up on the zone as I type... looks like I'm going to have to learn and prepare more types of food. There is also something strangely satisfying about seeing food broken down into set amounts, like, eating by numbers.

Anyways, thanks again, time to prepare for some hang squat cleans.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #9
Sean Gillespie

Profile:

In regards to raw vs cooked eggs : Raw eggs can carry a risk of salmonella. I couldn't really give a percentage on how likely an egg is to have salmonella but cooking them properly will kill the majority of the bacteria. In fact, here's a page that discusses it : Centers for disease control and prevention (safe for work)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but from knowledge collected during my brief body building days of yore i seem to remember finding info stating that you get more out of cooked than raw eggs. Can't track down a reliable source on that info quickly so have a look around, see what you can dig up.

Definitely get on the Zone, it's pretty sweet
Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
Adam Levenson

Profile:

I was thinking of drinking a nice mix of raw eggs, coconut milk(the thicker kind), berries and some water to thin it out. Fast, low mess and I can down it quick and get on the move.

You could even make it very zone.