CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Corey Borolien

Profile:
Re: box jump injuries

Jumping down isn't the only way to get hurt doing a box jump. I got 7 stitches in my shin when I missed while attempting a new max height and smashed my lower leg on the front edge of the box.

Shin length scrapes are actually not that uncommon when you miss at a tall box jump. Soccer shin guards maybe?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

I banged up my shin pretty badly last year when I couldn't quite clear a box jump landing. I believe that my friend actually broke his foot while jumping down from a box jump as well. So yes, in my experience, box jumps can get dangerous if you get carried away.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I always did step down, unfortunately that didn't help me any when I hit the box with my toe on the way up, pushing it back, and causing me to come down with the corner of the box under my kneecap... obviously not a fan of box jumps anymore.
+1

I just missed one once and will have a scar on my shin forever now.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

After a WOD involving box jumps my knee is injured. I was jumping off the box, I was told that my form looked good. I urge caution with this movement. From now on I will be stepping down. It's not worth the risk for me.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I can't count how many box jumps I've done in my life (hs/College/CF)...

I have a 'healthy' fear of them. Sure at age 37 I can still jump to about my nipple in height (i'm 5'7", not sure how tall that is), but I only do that on Rubber and I RARELY attempt this feat but once or twice a year..

When doing 36" jumps I'm still very careful to make sure I JUMP onto the box and get past the 'balls' of my feet... so many people try to go fast, and land on their toes... no thanks... I prefer to make sure I've got the height and distance to get my whole foot up there... seen way to many shin scrapes to want one...

As far as landing, it takes practice.. simple things over time like Mauricio said involve ditching the ego and being smart/safe. I teach kids. We spend more time simply learning to 'jump' up and land in the right position.. to many adult land stiff legged (bad on knees) and never allow their foot to go flat... talk about a risk of multiple types of injuries....

Our legs were designed to bend at certain places in certain ways. Our muscles and tendons and what not work best in other ways. Putting it together correctly makes the box jump a great exercise... again when we use our brains...

Doing 100 in a day after squating or deadlifting isn't smart...

I love box jumping from a sitting position... 3x5 then do from a lunge position 3x5... you don't have to go high (usually 24" is most we go but have done 36" and 42"). Key is to work up to it and be smart!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

I don't know if my form is great or not but like others have stated, I fear missing or flying off the box enough that I try to always be in control. It definitely costs me time during WOD's with box jumps but that is just the way it will be. I will jump down when I feel fresh but I don't bound up. I get my feet planted, re-set then jump up again. When I get fatigued, I step down.

I've done WOD's with the 30" box and I can handle it fine, I just have to keep my pace manageable and concentrate on landing well. I'm 44 years old, I don't need any injuries, period.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Yeah, screw jumping down from box jumps. LOL I ALWAYS step down. I may be slower than others, but at 36, with 8 surgeries under my belt (L5/S1 microdiscectomy, double carpal tunnel release, left first dorsal release, surgery on left ankle to reattach tendons/ligaments after I broke my lateral malleolus, 2 surgeries on left shoulder and one on right for compression syndrome), I am STILL 100% capable, and I want to keep it that way.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
David A Hunt

Profile:

Interestingly enough, there is arguably far more value in the landing from a jump down from a box than the jump up. However, not in the way box jumps are employed in WODs.

As a plyometric exercise, a properly performed depth or reactive jump provides outstanding results. But this requires that your muscles are not fatigued. It takes an incredible amount of focus to ensure that you land with proper jump mechanics and attempt to stabilize your body as rapidly as possible during the eccentric motion to train your central nervous system to fire rapid signals to your fast twitch muscle fibers for max effort. And that is why this sort of training utilizes very few reps and very long recovery periods.

Long story short, I would recommend just stepping down and saving your knees and risking injury when doing fatigued box jumps.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
James Hanley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hunt View Post
Interestingly enough, there is arguably far more value in the landing from a jump down from a box than the jump up. However, not in the way box jumps are employed in WODs.

As a plyometric exercise, a properly performed depth or reactive jump provides outstanding results. But this requires that your muscles are not fatigued. It takes an incredible amount of focus to ensure that you land with proper jump mechanics and attempt to stabilize your body as rapidly as possible during the eccentric motion to train your central nervous system to fire rapid signals to your fast twitch muscle fibers for max effort. And that is why this sort of training utilizes very few reps and very long recovery periods.

Long story short, I would recommend just stepping down and saving your knees and risking injury when doing fatigued box jumps.
...and if you do employ the plyo method;

You know the box is the "right" height when the drop down and subsequent jump is higher than if you just started statically. If you go so high that you're jumping lower, pull it back.

I REALLY like playing with reactive box jumps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nrKqqzJnEI (WFS)
Old 07-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Got 48" this week flat footed...

What was funny was in my only shoes, was ME bench day and had done some snatch work to focus n my hips... Walked outside and saw one of the coaches trying to show his student how to do the jump. Guy got scared every time he ran up to it, walked over, and bam first try

Key is no fear. Go for it or don't... We use tires stacked for height again to cut down on nasty rips vs a box. Same coach hit 60" later with a running approach

Would be interesting to see CF incorporate a "max" height from a flat foot for the open. Would be an easy one to measure, and you could retry it allllll week long... A great break from those WODs where doing it 3x isn't possible