CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-31-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
Derek Hui

Profile:
Snatch check

Hi everyone.

I've been stuck with the progression on the snatch for a while now. Can't seem to break the 60kg (bw) barrier. PR is 55.

Have a feeling it may be a technique problem.

Here's a video of me doing one at 50. It felt solid, but upon closer inspection, it seems like I'm not completeing the 2nd pull; i.e. not extending fully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxlNOKC5QJM (Work/Family Safe)

If you need me to post more videos from other angles or a few more reps, I can do that too. Only thing is that I do not know how to do the video in slow motion.

Thanks!

Last edited by Derek Hui : 05-31-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Re: Snatch check

That looks pretty good. I cant understand why you cant do 60.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

The only way that you will develop a mature pull is if the weights are maximal for you. The second pull (or Aramnau's one constant pull) is the body's natural movement when the weight is sufficiently heavy. So get some bumper plates and keep up the good work. Your form looks good, but now you need to up the weight bit by bit.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Cody Wilkes

Profile:

Hey Derek,

There might be an early arm pull, tough to call though. You do have some good form. I can't see why 60 is a problem.

How often have you tried 60kg, and how do you miss it (i.e. bar not high enough, falls behind you, fell in front of you, could get under it or a combination)?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
Derek Hui

Profile:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

Hi Cody, I have not tried 60 as yet because 57.5 has not been conquered.

I can do 55 most times but it's not as 'solid' as the 50kg you see in the video. Where I miss: sometimes the bar falls in front, i.e. could not get myself under the bar quick enough. In which case, there might be abit of excess swing in front as well.

I am currently working on getting my overhead squat higher such that I will be more confident in getting under a 60kg bar. Will also inch my snatch up to 60kg.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Cody Wilkes

Profile:

If you want to get more confident with getting under the weight you can try to do some heavy Snatch drops (I think Burgener calls them snatch balance). Here is a video of them if you need it.

http://blog.crossfitchesapeake.com/2...tch-drops.aspx (WFS)

Focus on punching up on the bar and staying tight in the bottom.

Just a side note if you feel you can do 60kg, try the 60kg. Don't make 2.5 kg jumps all the time.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Wilkes View Post
Just a side note if you feel you can do 60kg, try the 60kg. Don't make 2.5 kg jumps all the time.
I agree. You look sufficiently comfortable with that load that 60 kg ought to be tough but doable. More than a bodyweight squat snatch is a good place to be.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
Derek Hui

Profile:

I cant agree more! That is why I want to get over this barrier ASAP!

Tried the 60, again missed on the pull under. Think i'm just not used to starting at a different height.

Need to get into a proper weightlifting gym with same diameter plates....

Thanks guys!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Ryan Stitt

Profile:

I would reccomend the following exercises to be incorporated into your routine.

Snatch from blocks -this should set the bar at about mid thigh. Since you aren't using bumpers, then you can just set boxes/plates to get the appropriate height. This will help develop speed through the middle.

Heaving Snatch Balances- help you develop confidence and the feeling of really pressing under the bar.

Snatch lands/drops (as recommended by Cody W.) are a good idea as well to make sure you are keeping your core tight throughout. However, I wouldn't go too heavy here, this is a footwork/core stabilization movement, not a strength developer 9at least as I see/use it)

As far as you not finishing, it looks like your hips shoot through to me, so I would say you are finishing. We can't see your arms on the pull though. make sure the elbows come high and outside.

Final thing is that each lift is done the same regardless of weight. If you approach a weight with uncertainty...95% of the time, the outcome is certain.

Looks good and if you incorporate some of these transfer skills, I bet you overcome that BW barrier quickly. Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Chris Catto

Profile:

Please excuse my childish mind but I LOL'd at the title