CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Robert Anthony

Profile:
Should all the Qualifiers used the same WODs?

Just wondering on what everyone thinks. Completely hopper the finals in Aromas though. Just thinking out loud. Please add and/or elaborate on my list.

Pros
1. If they did, every athlete would know exactly how they stack up against the others going in and how to better prepare and fix there weaknesses.
2. It would stop any region from claiming that their WODs were more difficult and they should send more athletes.
3. Wanna-be participants would have goals to shoot for.

Cons
1. If someone finished in 6th place and didn't get a slot, but their times were faster than other regional winners, there would be a lot of complaining.
2. It would be unfair because people would game the system because all qualifiers are not on the same weekend. Earlier qualifiers would have less time to prepare for a certain WOD, when other qualifiers would know in advance and all could prepare.
3. Some CF quote that I have seen on someone's sig about being prepared to perform something random at any given point in time. Someone help me out with this one.....
Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Departed

Profile:  
Re: Should all the Qualifiers used the same WODs?

I personally like the way it is now. Doing the same WOD would completely negate holding Regionals. It would only be fair to have it set up like the Last Chance Qualifier is. Announce the WODs and you have X amount of hours/days to submit a video. Top X amount of athletes move onto the Games. Having all these sick WODs coming out of the different regionals not only gives the community a bunch of new workouts to try, but it opens up the creativity of the affiliates that have to develop these WODs. A lot of people benefit from the current format, IMHO.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
Robert Anthony

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gedicks View Post
I personally like the way it is now. Doing the same WOD would completely negate holding Regionals. It would only be fair to have it set up like the Last Chance Qualifier is. Announce the WODs and you have X amount of hours/days to submit a video. Top X amount of athletes move onto the Games. Having all these sick WODs coming out of the different regionals not only gives the community a bunch of new workouts to try, but it opens up the creativity of the affiliates that have to develop these WODs. A lot of people benefit from the current format, IMHO.
Nice response. I also agree with the creativity aspect. It also gives us something to work towards. I look forward to trying some of these very creative WODs.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Absolutely not. Constantly varied in time and space. To standardize it would be to discount the programming gifts of the many great coaches in CrossFit who run these events. I'm sure HQ could plan a great event, but these Qualifiers have left us a legacy of amazing workouts with which to test and train ourselves.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Eric Egan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Anthony View Post
Just wondering on what everyone thinks. Completely hopper the finals in Aromas though. Just thinking out loud. Please add and/or elaborate on my list.

Pros
1. If they did, every athlete would know exactly how they stack up against the others going in and how to better prepare and fix there weaknesses.
2. It would stop any region from claiming that their WODs were more difficult and they should send more athletes.
3. Wanna-be participants would have goals to shoot for.

Cons
1. If someone finished in 6th place and didn't get a slot, but their times were faster than other regional winners, there would be a lot of complaining.
2. It would be unfair because people would game the system because all qualifiers are not on the same weekend. Earlier qualifiers would have less time to prepare for a certain WOD, when other qualifiers would know in advance and all could prepare.
3. Some CF quote that I have seen on someone's sig about being prepared to perform something random at any given point in time. Someone help me out with this one.....
the People behind Crossfit know what they are doing.i say let them do it.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Omar Omar

Profile:

CrossFit is about general fitness. Bieng able to do the workout without even thinking about it or knowing before time what you will do. This way some people will do specific workouts that will help thier time on the qualifiers but not all CrossFit.

I personally think they should be varied and random. If I could I would make it so that even at the games athletes will know what thier event is only 5 minutes earlier.

Back in 08 they knew thier final event one day earlier. I would let them warm up and get ready for anything and tell them what they will do on the spot.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

No, because it makes the whole idea of each region creating their own WODS with the intention being that their regional WOD sends the most fit from their area- moot. If it was just this, the region qualifier would also have to be done by CFHQ and run.

An interesting point is that it was, many athletes were able to practice the WOD's for their region a few times before they competed. Basically the Day 1 workouts.

It should be apparent to anyone doing CF that they know their weaknesses. If they don't...well, that's pretty dumb.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
Robert Anthony

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Egan View Post
the People behind Crossfit know what they are doing.i say let them do it.
Follow blindly; don't ask questions; don't brainstorm about reasons behind certain processes. I copy all of that Eric. I am pretty sure if Coach hadn't questioned the "Globo" model, we wouldn't be here today. I am not wanting to change anything, just wanting to hear the pros/cons and motivation behind doing things a certain way. I am new here so I ask questions, unlike some I guess. Thanks for the response though, it gives me insight on CFers.

Blair, thanks for the info. I didn't realize some had access to day 1 WODs.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I would say athletes knew what was coming a week possibly more ahead of time. Enough time to try and fiddle with the day 1 WOD's. Generally 2 or 3 of them.

At the 08 CFG, the WOD's were announced Wednesday I think. Not really enough time to try them besides travel and prepare for the Games on a Saturday.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Ryan Stitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I would say athletes knew what was coming a week possibly more ahead of time. Enough time to try and fiddle with the day 1 WOD's. Generally 2 or 3 of them.

At the 08 CFG, the WOD's were announced Wednesday I think. Not really enough time to try them besides travel and prepare for the Games on a Saturday.
Each region announcd the Saturday workouts the Sunday before. Personally, I don't know the value of really busting your butt on a difficult WOD a few days before the event. Personally, I took the entire week off before my qualifier so that i could have a fully recovered body. I had been racking it with heavy intense work for 5 weeks previously.

Knowing the WODs that far out doesn't neccesarily hurt or help. I guess you can think through them a little, but once you hear go, your in it.

I liked the regional qualifiers having their own workout. It isn't exactly comparable to compare a time from someone at sea level and expect that someone at 5280 feet or even more 7,200 feet (Great Basin I think)should be able to complete it just as fast.