CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:08 AM   #1
Neil Eldridge

Profile:  
All, please bear with me for a second. I'll try to make it short. Here is the deal.

I'm burned out on my IT career, and I'm looking to make a career change. I would like to get into the fitness industry, as a personal trainer, but crossfit has thrown a wrench in my plan. I was thinking about becoming an ACE certified personal trainer.... until I came across Crossfit. Now that I have jumped on the Crossfit bandwagon, it seems like getting ACE certified would be like learning and teaching a philosophy which I am totally against.

But I know I am not ready for Crossfit certification and teaching. Would ACE be a total waste of time, or would it be a good way for me to get my foot in the door and build some business?

What do some of you in the fitness industry suggest I do while I prepare myself to possibly become crossfit certified and maybe open up a crossfit center in my area (Central Florida), or at least train people using Crossfit principles in the future?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Neil
Old 06-18-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Neil, I'd look for a certification that gives you a decent background in anatomy, physiology and biomechanics.

It also helps to learn about "traditional" exercise prescription because as a crossfit trainer you'll spend a lot of time explaining the differences with people who refuse to believe you.

From a quick scan of the ACE website the PT cert looks like a decent place to start.

Some form of trainer certification form a major organisation will also help you get insurance.

Personally I've got all the certifications that i'm required to have according to the fitness accreditation body out here in Australia and I don't train anyone according to those principles instead drawing heavily from crossfit, my kettlebell certification and all my own reading.

finishing a certification is the START of your education as a trainer.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Please don't go ACE, look for somthing a little more rounded.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Personally, I'd take some A&P classes, some kniesiology, and ofcourse, get to a CF certification. Maybe 2.
I know gyms want certain certifications for their trainers, but a lot of them are schmucks. Try to build your own client base in your spare time. Look at the Running a CF Facility area o the board for tips.
Also, look into getting certified as a USAW Club Coach. People are rediscovering the Olympic Lifts and coaches will be i demand.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
Neil Eldridge

Profile:  
Guys, thanks for the quick responses. It's been a great help already.

Larry, which certification body would you consider more well rounded?

Don and Ron, I am definitely up for learning as much as I can in all areas of fitness, and your recommendations were things I thought I would hear from you guys. Thanks for the confirmation.

Any further advice is still greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Neil,

I was certified with CrossFit late last year and decided to open CrossFit-Racine shortly thereafter. I thought it would behoove me to study and possibly pursue other fitness certifications so I would know more about the 'competition.' Through my library I was able to get hold of materials from the NSCA, ACE, NASM and other organizations. End result: BIG waste of time. Two examples of what I saw:

-After reading some of the first section of the ACE manual (anatomy/physiology heavy) I was bored and decided to page through the book to see what was ahead. I saw pictures of someone deadlifting a box with a rounded back and another pic that featured muted hip action with knees going beyond toes for air squats. In the pictures for pull-ups the gentleman demonstrating is half-way up and smiling. Judging by his phyisical appearance, I surmised he was smiling because he knew he was 'demonstrating' an exercise he could not fully perform (hope I'm wrong about that one). Needless to say, after seeing these pics, I promptly returned the book.

-The NSCA Essentials of Strenght and Conditioning, has a fair amount of good stuff. The only problem I see is that you sometimes have dig through some crap to find it. In one section they listed the advantages of free weights and the advantages of machines. There points on free weights made complete sense, but I was easily able to find counterarguments for their listed 'advantages' of machines for every point except one (it's easier to switch a pin in a stack than to change plates on a bar).

My advice (some of it redundant to what others have said above):

1. Get to a CrossFit cert ASAP. Coach's discussion of his experience working at a gym and his exposure to powerlifters, gymnasts, O-lifters and bodybuilders will provide you with most of the information you will need when it comes to comparing approaches to working out for fitness/ functionality/athleticism. Check for Eugene's seminar notes for a sneak peak.

2. If you haven't done so already, buy and read (and read again) the past issues of the CrossFit Journal. You won't have to worry about sifting through crap to find the good stuff. With the CFJ, it's all good stuff and worth reviewing on a frequent basis.

3. Continue to rely on this message board for support. Search the archives. You're likely to find/get answers to anything you will need to know.

Hope this helps, Neil. Welcome to CrossFit and good luck with your endeavour,

Ryan
Old 06-19-2005, 01:23 PM   #7
Dan Silver

Profile:

Starbucks pays pretty well.

-D.