CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Joseph Shreckhise

Profile:
Sole Income

I was just wondering how many affiliate owners/co-owners use their Crossit box as a sole source of income. I'm recieving my lev 1 cert in 2 weeks and I want to try to open up a box in Harrisonburg Va after graduation in May. I'm sure I'll be working a full-time job while trying to build clientele and save money for equipment but I was wondering how many are still working another job and running a facility.

Affiliation is going to be a big challenge for a recent college grad and I'm sure actually renting/leasing a space won't come for another year which brings me to my next question. Do you guys recommend training out of a globogym or training out of my garage/barn as I buy equipment. The transition from Globogym might bring up legal issues if clientele follow but I'll have access to more equipment in the beginning. If I train out of my garage/barn I can throw weights around scream, cuss, and dust the entire place in chalk. The problem might be the location and trying to convince someone I can make them a world class athlete on $1500 worth of equipment.

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Emily Mattes

Profile:
Re: Sole Income

I don't know much about affiliation, but I imagine Globo Gym owners would be not at all happy with someone trying to run their own paid training sessions from within the gym.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Joseph Shreckhise

Profile:

Right, I was actually thinking of working as a personal trainer and just using Crossfit to train my clients, but I didn't make that clear.

I'd imagine a gym owner would be pretty ****ed if I just walked in there with an 8 person class and started throwing his equipment around unannounced.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
Steven Bowser

Profile:

Do Park Workouts or Invite people to your barn and build up the members before you move into a box. Seems to be the right thing to do.
Or take a big risk - open a Huge place - and hope it fills up quick.
Just hope youre a good trainer.
But I would suggest the first choice to develop your skills and make contacts.
Good luck
Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Joseph Shreckhise

Profile:

Yeah, I don't think I'm willing to dive head first into it just yet. I'm definitely passionate about opening an affiliate but I think you're right as far as building contacts and and developing skills. I have plans right now to volunteer in the weight room next semester and I'm going to try to hit up a local affiliate and do some job shadowing. Also, although I have no debt coming out of school I have no money either. If the first couple of months go poorly it could be the end of me. The barn/garage affiliate feels like the right thing to do anyways. So much more freedom and so much more "Crossfitesque". Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
Joseph Shreckhise

Profile:

One other thing. Do you use your box as a sole source of income or do you still have another job? I would eventually like to run a box full-time but I'm thinking it might take a while.

Last edited by Joseph Shreckhise; 12-08-2008 at 08:13 AM..
Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Stephan Marcella

Profile:

Joseph - the advice Steven gave is valid. I run park wods, financially I am unable to get a box on my own but may have a partner soon. I have been running park wods since June and started by training others out of a globo gym last November due to their interest in the "crazy stuff" I was doing for workouts.

I spent time speaking and training with local (some 3 hours away) affiliates like the group at BGI, Corssfit Evolution, Gulf Coast CrossFit, Crossfit Weston, and Harbor City. This really improved my abilities to train others and develop relationships with some outstanding people.

Also, go to multiple certs! I have been to 3 and I truly learn something everytime. The first cert was a little overwhelming, but the ones after I was able to sit back and play a game anticipating the cues/corrections before the trainers would give their input to the group.

The park wods are a blast and the friendships developed are second to none. I hesitated too long before giving it a shot, therefore, move forward with what you have. It takes a small amount of equipment to give people a great wod. Start small as Coach and others have suggested, build your confidence/abilities, and have fun.

Last edited by Stephan Marcella; 12-08-2008 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: additional input
Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Joseph Shreckhise

Profile:

Park/Barn/Garage it is! I'm definitely trying to continue my education in fitness all the time. I spend way too much time in the forum, journal, etc. I want to eventually become a level III CF coach so the certs are on my agenda without question. Thanks for the encouragement, and don't worry I can't not have fun doing this stuff.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
John Edmondson

Profile:

Provided you're a good trainer, CrossFit seems to sell itself. Convincing people to pay us to train them in our garage with a lot less than $1500 worth of equipment has never been an issue. With only two exceptions, if they've come through our door, they've signed up. Certainly this won't hold up forever, but I think it's telling of the program we run. If you treat your garage as world class training facility, your clients will too.

Best of luck
Old 12-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Joseph Shreckhise

Profile:

Thanks for the advice guys. I was still wondering how many affiliates still work another job and run their facility part time?