CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Recent blood tests returned with a blood creatinine level of 110 umol/L, which is at the upper end of normal. Before this test I was going hard on the WODs and was eyeballing the Zone diet.

Four years ago (when I was eating a high-carb, whole-grain diet and my exercise was maybe 15 km of jogging/week), my creatinine level was 90.

The wikipedia entry on creatinine indicates that elevated creatinine levels are normal in body builders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatinine

Now my doctor is sending me for a kidney ultrasoud. She wants to rule out renal dysfunction. I'm wondering if my elevated blood creatinine is due to WODs and/or the Zone?

I am 32 years old, 160 lbs, 5'6, 17% BF, and have been CFing/Zoning for about 4 months. I have elevated LDL and family history of various cardiac complaints, but otherwise am healthy.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
Joshua Kemper

Profile:
If I were you, I would ask for another test and not work out for a few days beforehand in addition to not eating a lot of protein the day before.

OTOH, according to work and family safe http://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labc...o/pr003900.htm, "Serum creatinine level is proportional to lean body muscle mass. It is unaffected by most diet or activity..."

I wouldn't mind getting a kidney ultrasound, though, especially if I could watch it and it was the kind of ultrasound where they can evaluate blood flow.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
Andy Shirley

Profile:
work/family safe link to common causes(idiopathic) of increased serum creatinine:
Increased muscle mass and high meat diet(which the zone is, compared to avg american diet) leat to increased creatinine.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/unders...inine/faq.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi80.htm

What was your BUN? The ratio(BUN:Cr) tells more than just your serum creatinine.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Robert Olajos

Profile:
My protein intake is slightly below the Zone 30%. I track on fitday and usually come in around 25%. It primarily comes from fish, chicken, eggs, low-fat cottage cheese, and whey powder. I do not supplement with creatine.

I will certainly go to the ultrasound. Joshua, what questions should I ask regarding blood flow?

Andy, the blood work did not test for BUN.

Yesterday I got a book called the New 8 Week Cholesterol Cure by Robert E. Kowalski. Having read half of its 430 pages already, I can see a lot in here that I can implement (fine-tuning diet and supplementing with Vit C, E, selenium, niacin). I'll get my bloodwork redone after 2 months and see where I'm at.

Any other blood tests that would be helpful to add, other than BUN and Lp(a)?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Gordon Mann

Profile:
Serum Creatine is a breakdown product of protein. Its elevation in a healthy individual (no kidney problems) is usually due to a high protien intake or working out which breaks down muscle tissue.
Gordon
You friendly neighborhood pharmacist
My first post I hope it helps
Old 01-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Thanks Gordon, yes, that's helpful. Your post zeroes in on my main question. Is my high creatinine due to diet (unlikely at 25% protein), workouts (at the time of the test I was going pretty hard at CF), or due to some kidney pathology? When I get back the ultrasound results, I'll post again here.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Kidney ultrasound results were A-ok. So I choose to believe that my high creatinine was due to a higher protein diet than the average person's, and heavy exercise. I'll take a tour off before my next blood work.