CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
Thanks to the helpful members of this website, I have read "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration", "The Paleo Diet", "NHE", and "Mastering The Zone". In different ways, they all point to many of the same general facts, one of which seems to be that a Paleo Diet is just about the healthiest way one can eat.

Now, I have been completely persuaded of this. But it occurs to me that I have not studied the other side of the argument at all. This is always dangerous.

So, who are the most thoughtful and well spoken opponents of the Paleo Diet? What have they written? Even if they are completely mistaken in the end, I would like to read what they have written. Or, better yet, have there been any public debates between the two sides, like at a conference on nutrition or something? Thanks!

Old 06-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
The biggest argument agains the Paleo diet that I can see is that we do have access to information and food sources that HGs did not have. While we may be well adapted to eating paleo, it may be optimal to adjust intake some based on research and emperical information. Now, at this point we're getting into the realms where the different diets affect folks in different ways so you'll need to tinker to find your optimum. Maybe someday we'll have genetic mapping and you'll be able to get a blood test that leads to an optimal diet for you, but we're not there yet.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:06 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'd say the protein sources are completely diffrent today than they were back when Bill Fox and I were born (you know paleo). Back then your meat was running around very little saturated fat) and eating wild stuff (not grain), we speared em, slung the critters on our shoulders and brought em' back to the little women to BBQ over an open fire. Mass produced meat ain't the same and you need to suppliment (omega 3's) to get a similar effect. Not enough to stop you from going paleo, just good to know!