CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Zone Diet, Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
for me it is, maybe not for other people. I feel its restrictive. I travel a lot, like Dairy, and tend to agree more with the science behind the Zone. I have always approached Paleo as an all or nothing diet, and feel the there are more options with Zone.
There's plenty of people who do Paleo+Dairy...that's about the only non-Paleo stuff I eat. Having black-boxed it with cottage cheese, cheese, and milk occasionally, I don't think dairy hurts my performance. The Zone's 40/30/30 ratio isn't a 100% truth magic number or anything--plenty of people modify it with lower carbs and higher fat and get better results that way. Doing that means it's not technically Zone anymore but it meets the intent of minimizing insulin response and inflammation and allowing your body to use dietary fat and stored bodyfat as its primary fuel source. Again, Paleo isn't all or nothing, just like Zone or CF isn't all or nothing. 100% Paleo/Zone will get you better results than 50%, which will be better than 0%....in the same way that doing 3 on/1 off WODs will get you better results than 2/1, which will give you better results than being sedentary.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Chris Puckett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i...what?

i know they exist because i'm one of them :P
I used to hate the Zone diet for the work it took. I first read The Zone in the late 90's when I raced bicycles. A few of the top cycling coaches also recommend the Zone, Joe Friel being one. I honestly think though that if I do it long enough, it will become second nature, at least that is what I am aiming for. I am attempting to refer to the CFJ before every meal until someday... when I will eat Zone instinctively.

Do any Zoners out there actually instinctively eat in the Zone after months/years of doing it?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Chris Puckett

Profile:

[quote=Sean Dunston;663305

I am a big believer for vanity and performance reasons. I went from ~23% bodyfat to ~ 10%, and lost ~30# in the process. I also piled on over 200# on my CFT, and went from 10:00+ minute Fran to sub 4:00.
[/QUOTE]

Sean, that is awesome! Great work man, congrats.

Renee, its for these reasons I am choosing the Zone.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
Sean, that is awesome! Great work man, congrats.

Renee, its for these reasons I am choosing the Zone.
And in the last 9 months, i've put 190# on MY cft, and gone from 36.8% to 26.8% bf, eating 80%+ paleo...and only WAM for maybe two weeks?

not saying sean's not a rockstar (cause he is)...but your "reasons" aren't exclusive to the zone!

EDIT:
PS,

I sound like i'm disagreeing with you just to disagree... I really do want to stress i'm not trying to do that. I'm just pointing out that (so far) your reasons for leaning towards long term Zone sound like, "Paleo can't do _____ and Zone can." I'm just trying to challenge that belief

As for long term zoners, it's pretty common knowledge that Pat Sherwood's a religious zoner...but that's the only one i can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by Renee Lee : 09-14-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I zone pretty much regularly and feel it's intuitive once you're familiar with certain foods, like Sean said.
I do fall off the wagon, but it really works well for me and I find it's easy to take on the road if you know your foods. I've only used the CrossFit Journal 21 to do mine.
That said, I haven't been very strict for the last week or so...
Old 09-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #16
John Michael Jones

Profile:

Chris I've been zoning since January of this year, so I wouldn't call it long term yet, but long enough for it to become part of my lifestyle and become second nature. I'm currently doing a 30 day paleo challenge and have enjoyed it so far but plan on introducing dairy immediately and allowing cheat days after I black box the "off-limit" items to see what negatively affects my performance.

I find eating in zone proportions to be an extremely sustainable lifestyle choice. Once you get the blocks ingrained in your head it becomes a no brainer and you can eyeball everything. This is especially beneficial when you travel and are forced to eat out alot, as you can make good meal choices and still be able to enjoy yourself. It's also beneficial when you're going to cheat on food quality as well, where you can have the occasional piece of bread or beer and not completely throw off your carb intake. I found it took about a month for all this to become 2nd nature and it has made life much easier - I know some people end up getting wrapped around the block prescription and it becomes all consuming, just remember that you don't have to be exactly on target with your blocks at every meal and if you're light on carbs to substitute 3 blocks of fat, and it should be painless.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
Matt Charney

Profile:

I'm a firm believer that a strict Zone is basically Paleo or at least 90%. The list of best foods or most favorable foods are mostly Paleo items.

The Zone is most definetly not a strict 40-30-30. That is a good place to start to work on finding your specific zone.

In the last 2-1/2 years I have done moderate Zone, strict Paleo & strict Paleo/Zone. I did not see a huge difference between all of them. The only real difference I saw was when doing straight Paleo only I think I ate more and gained a little extra bf. This is a matter of self discipline. I think if I kept a journal during the paleo phase I would have seen different results.

I think any combination or variation will work it's just a matter of choosing which will work for you.

My latest choice is a 80-90% Paleo/Zone using the hand eye method 70-80% of the time. Since doing a strict WAM for the better part of a year I think my hand eye is pretty accurate. I do some cheese and cottage cheese and legumes on occasion, also once every couple weeks I do some steel cut oats.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
James Compora

Profile:

OPT zones his life away. WAM's everything everyday from what I have read.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
Chris Puckett

Profile:

Hey iPhone App Developers

Make an iPhone app based on the Zone article CFJ issue 21(May 2004) Kind of a mobile Crossfit eating guide. I could have used it today, and would use it all the time when I eat out...

first day zone, went great, 4block plan. Easy to do during a normal workday. Work, then crossfit. Home. Bed

Today, ok so far, had lunch at a mario bartali restaurant Casa Mono. The lunch actually went really well, as Mario specializes in meat, and the portions are not ridiculous. I tried to portion everything out though, and drank water. Going to Ohio for work for the rest of the week. Foreseeing big lunches and dinners, but hopefully a workout at Rogue Fitness.