CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #11
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Heavy lifts while on very low carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Whaaaaaat?!? Is that Mike O'Donnell over here?

He's right though, a Targeted Ketogenic approach would probably fit the bill quite nicely. I actually just asked Coach Rut a question about this earlier today on his blog. I believe I'll be implementing something similar this coming week.

Derek;
Keep us posted on what you're up to on the TK diet.
Thanks.

PS. Mike, you're like everywhere.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Whaaaaaat?!? Is that Mike O'Donnell over here?
Someone left the back door open again....
Old 06-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
Kraig Youmans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Naubur View Post
Lately I have been cutting back my carbs to see what I need to perform. Also, I have been doing my WOD before lunch where I used to do it afterwards. I have had a increase in my metcon performance, and a reduction in BF%, but today I did the Deadlift 3-3-3-3-3 and I couldn't finish with any normal weights.

The first heavy workset I did (under my 5 rep max from a few weeks ago) I was very dizzy, the sound of the plates hitting the floor suddenly seemed very loud, and my awareness reduced to the area immediately in front of me. I felt pretty out of it for ~5-10 seconds. I did two more reps and the effects were diminished somewhat, but enough to force me to stop the WOD.

I believe I have had some slight ketosis on this borderline very low carb diet, based on the fat loss and the funny taste in my mouth.

So should I up the carbs before heavy days to avoid this, or could it be something else? I like the WOD intensity I have had while on this diet so I would like to play with it some more.

jason

P.S. My 5RM DL was 315, today I couldn't even pull 315 one time (!) and the dizzyness came at 275. My diet is zone / paleo, with reduced carbs lately (3 weeks or so) and upped fat intake.

I had the same problem but resoved it by consuming a post work out drink (Biotest Surge) 1/2 before and 1/2 after the workout.