CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Jacob McBride

Profile:
weight loss question

Alright, I have absolutely no problem with weight. I do have a friend though, who approached me after hearing how excited I was to start CrossFit. I guess because I'm a wannabe athlete (used to think I WAS an athlete), he thought I would know about nutrition. I actually eat VERY poorly. Now, I'm not posting this in the nutrition section because there's more to it.
He's overweight by a large enough degree. To correct this he's been walking to work. He built the walk to a jog and things were going well, but his loss has plateaud out and it's no longer really going down from jogging.
My question is this. What things should he do to continue getting slimmer as well as getting into shape. As a semi-athlete, I'm struggling just to do some of the WODs so I haven't just said "hey, do CrossFit" as a solution.
What things should he eat, what things shouldn't he eat, and what kind of workouts should he be doing to get in shape and lose weight in a healthy way?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: weight loss question

Eat: nuts, berries, fruits, vegetables, meat, and fish. Eggs are good, too. Don't stop eating, eat well. (You said you eat poorly, so this goes for you, too). Look into the Zone diet and eat the above choices in Zone proportions.

That he went from walking to jogging indicates a good mentality and he wants to take the next step. Crossfit is very good for weight loss and better body composition. Scaled workouts (link in the Start Here section of the main page) should be done to begin with. Start small, slowly ramp up the intensity. Give it three months, and I can guarantee good results.

Last edited by Derek Maffett : 01-08-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: weight loss question

Some t-nation stuff is good, some bad some decent. Here's the two part series that came out yesterday and today. Decent-good. Gives a pretty good summary of what to do for fat loss.

may or may not be WFS.. scantily clad women at times:
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1881903
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1883504