CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
Gregory Jacobsen

Profile:
Hey all,
About four weeks ago I was doing back squats and trying to improve my range of motion and squat all the way down. I went down with about three hundred and squated deep but when I got to the bottom I lost balance and leaned a little too far forward and strained?? my back. It would hurt in the mornings (for about a week) so I layed off the heavy lifting. Now it only hurts after a workout but not during the workout? I just did the triplet this morning and it didn't phase me until after the workout and it started hurting again. I took some advil and am hoping that this will just go away after awhile if I keep working it. I'm not sure if it is a muscle pull or an actual spine thing? I don't use a belt and my BW is 200 lbs -- I have been crossfitting for about a year now. Should I be concerned? I can tell you I don't plan on squatting that deep with heavy weight anymore without proper spotting.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
You shouldn't be back squatting without squat racks, but I guess you know that now. With front squats, you can always drop it.

I'm not a doctor but in my experience something involving the spine is going to trigger a more sudden pain as you place a nerve or the spine itself in a position that the brain finds dangerous. That triggers a muscle spasm to force you to drop whatever it is you're carrying. You'll know the feeling when it happens.

this is probably a bit of a strain. However, why not just give it a week or two? I've found that even back spasms cure themselves within a week or two.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
Gregory Jacobsen

Profile:
Elliot,
Thanks for the help. I was squatting with a rack just bent over to far and lost the center of gravity over my heels and bent too far forward at the waist -- I'm guessing this put too much strain on my lower back. Anyway -- I can still do all my normal stuff without pain I just have an ache when I stand for more than 20 minutes at a time or sit straight up without back support. It always seems to be worse in the morning. I'm hoping it goes away soon and I am stretching more as it seems to help.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
yeah, it's usually when you first wake up that it's worse. The muscles need a little time to loosen up. Sounds pretty normal but if it doesn't go away, go see a doctor or chiropractor.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Kristopher Shelton

Profile:
I don't know if this will help you, but whenever I incur an injury like that (I'm assuming it's a pulled muscle) I try to gently stretch it. I mean VERY gently, even if you just move a centimeter. When resting your muscles stiffen up and become more inflexible, increasing the likelihood of future injury.
Again, this may not be medically sound, and I would be interested in hearing a knowledgeable person's viewpoint, but it's worked for me in the past by accelerating healing.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Gregory Jacobsen

Profile:
thanks for all the help --seems to be improving daily so I hope I will recover fully and be that much wiser for it