CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Kris Freeman

Profile:
I know some believers in the paleo diet condemn dairy product similar to white bread. I know that Mark Ripptoe advocates it's use. If my goal is to put on about 10 lb's of muscle, would it be cool to drink milk, especially with my protein shakes? I expect that with putting on 10+ lb's of muscle mass that my abs won't be a shredded "6 pack." I'm 6'1" BW is 173 and I've lost 5 lbs in the last month unintentionally. I'm sure some of it was fat, but don't want to continue losing weight. I'm eating 5 block zone meals with total of 17 blocks/day, maybe I should increase that?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Emily Mattes

Profile:
If you're drinking organic skim milk and accounting for the carbs in your block plan, why would it be a problem?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:
Eat more fat, like 51 blocks worth per day.

I'm on 17 blocks like you, and it works wonders.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
Jason Fryer

Profile:
The argument against dairy centers from 2 angles.

The primary argument from a Paleo perspective is that our ancestors did not drink milk unless it was their mother's. Milk was not found readily nor was it something that we are programmed to eat.

That leads to the second argument. The human digestive system is not wired for the digestion of dairy. Lactose Intolerance is actually normal for ALL human beings (with exception to some groups of Central European peoples). The amount of lactase (the enzyme that digests lactose) in the human body naturally declines throughout life after weaning.

I know I am lactose intolerant and if I do not supplement with lactase then I will have some moderate discomfort and digestive issues. If you feel you can consume dairy without issue, I would say feel free but try going without for a week or two and then re-introduce it slowly to assess your tolerance.

(Message edited by Jfryer on July 18, 2007)
Old 07-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Why skim milk? No offense, but why is everybody in America so stinkin' afraid of fat? Unless there's another reason for the skim part.

As for lactic intolerance, I used to have a hard time with it, couldn't drink milk at all, and rarely could eat ice cream or cheeses unless I had lactaid. But now, I eat a big heaping bowl of Breyers almost every night, and cheeses with lots of my meals, etc. I haven't tried drinking milk, because I basically exclusively drink water.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
The main reason I stick to skim is the carb and protein grams per serving (vice the fat) they are just spot on to one block each...the fattier milk they tend to get more skewed.

so I think most people here probably stick to skim for easier calculation to stay in the Zone.

the argument for paleo assumes alot...I for one wasn't around when those people lived, why would I assume they couldn't milk a cow (or goat)? It's not terribly difficult to do. I'm not a historian so I don't know if that's already something proven...just seems an odd assumption to me.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Paul Symes

Profile:
If the milk has been homogenized it might be better to give it a miss. If you can get milk that isn't homogenized (the cream will float on the milk) full fat is ok, raw is even better.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Jason Fryer

Profile:
The paleo assumption is assuming that humans did not milk cows. From what I've heard of the historical perspective of diet, humans did not milk cows or even domesticate cows until we had been on Earth for quite a while. Evolution is a slow process and the human digestive system has not evolved to regularly consume dairy.

As always, antibiotic and hormone free organic milk is better than other kinds but it's still never as good as raw, whole milk. I find it's easier to just avoid it on the whole (since raw milk isn't very easy to find legally).

Here is some further info regarding milk and dairy's healthfulness: http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles...drink-milk.asp (W/F/S)
Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Jason;
Solid posts, not only on this topic, but others.
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
Kris Freeman

Profile:
Thanks all, and Jason for the help/link.