CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:
Thumbs up IF, oxidative stress, and life extension

This is an interesting article by Mercola http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...lly-young.aspx WFS

In recent months I've slacked off of intermittent fasting, this makes me want to get back on. Thoughts?

Last edited by Anson Castelvecchi : 06-19-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: IF, oxidative stress, and life extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson Castelvecchi View Post
This is an interesting article by Mercola http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...lly-young.aspx WFS

In recent months I've slacked off of intermittent fasting, this makes me want to get back on. Thoughts?
Training in a fasted state will reduce work capacity, increase fatigue and generally cause you to underperform due to the limited availability of both muscle and liver glycogen. Intermittent fasting may also cause you to gain weight due to a reduction in resting energy expenditure (REE) unless you compensate for the reduction in REE by reducing your total energy intake.

Quite frankly I don't see any real benefits of IF for athletes and in my opinion if you're going to try calorie restriction (CR) you'd be better off eating regular meals while adopting the Okinawan practice of hara hachi bu. Also if you're interested in the relationship between CR and longevity, whether through traditional methods of fasting, IF or hara hachi bu, you should study the findings of the Okinawa Centenarian Study and Roy Walfords research from his time in Biosphere 2.

Intermittent fasting does not affect whole-body glucose, lipid, or protein metabolism.

The calorically restricted low-fat nutrient-dense diet in Biosphere 2 significantly lowers blood glucose, total leukocyte count, cholesterol, and blood pressure in humans.

Changes in Plasma Lipids and Lipoproteins in Humans During a 2-Year Period of Dietary Restriction in Biosphere 2.

Physiologic changes in humans subjected to severe, selective calorie restriction for two years in biosphere 2: health, aging, and toxicological perspectives.

Energy metabolism after 2 y of energy restriction: the Biosphere 2 experiment.

*All links wfs*
Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Jeff Chu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Training in a fasted state will reduce work capacity, increase fatigue and generally cause you to underperform due to the limited availability of both muscle and liver glycogen. Intermittent fasting may also cause you to gain weight due to a reduction in resting energy expenditure (REE) unless you compensate for the reduction in REE by reducing your total energy intake.

Quite frankly I don't see any real benefits of IF for athletes and in my opinion if you're going to try calorie restriction (CR) you'd be better off eating regular meals while adopting the Okinawan practice of hara hachi bu. Also if you're interested in the relationship between CR and longevity, whether through traditional methods of fasting, IF or hara hachi bu, you should study the findings of the Okinawa Centenarian Study and Roy Walfords research from his time in Biosphere 2.

Intermittent fasting does not affect whole-body glucose, lipid, or protein metabolism.

The calorically restricted low-fat nutrient-dense diet in Biosphere 2 significantly lowers blood glucose, total leukocyte count, cholesterol, and blood pressure in humans.

Changes in Plasma Lipids and Lipoproteins in Humans During a 2-Year Period of Dietary Restriction in Biosphere 2.

Physiologic changes in humans subjected to severe, selective calorie restriction for two years in biosphere 2: health, aging, and toxicological perspectives.

Energy metabolism after 2 y of energy restriction: the Biosphere 2 experiment.

*All links wfs*
Correct me if I'm wrong as I have just recently read into IF, but isn't the calorie restriction up to 500 calories a day only if you are looking to lose weight? If you are looking to maintain or gain weight you should continue to eat the appropriate amount of calories. My impression from reading up on Fast-5 and Leangains is that the 16-19hr fasts force your body to use energy from stored fat and "starvation mode" doesn't kick in until you surpass the 72 hr mark. The only real change one is making when doing IF is the time of day they eat their meals. On Leangains specifically, he references several controlled studies and tests that systematically prove that IF does burn fat and not muscle, without a decrease in energy.

I literally started reading up on this last week and have actually started IF (paleo) this week and feel great before, after and during my exercises. Everything I have read and testimonials even on this site have been nothing but great, the largest problem is being able to squeeze all that eating into a 5-8 hour window.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Amber Rogers

Profile:

Whenever I waste my time reading something by Mercola I come away even more convinced he is an imbecile.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Chu View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong as I have just recently read into IF, but isn't the calorie restriction up to 500 calories a day only if you are looking to lose weight?
Correct, you don't need to cut calories if you're already relatively lean with a BMI at the lower end of the healthy range (BMI 18.5 - 25).

Quote:
If you are looking to maintain or gain weight you should continue to eat the appropriate amount of calories.
Correct, you should eat the appropriate amount of calories to meet your goals.

Quote:
My impression from reading up on Fast-5 and Leangains is that the 16-19hr fasts force your body to use energy from stored fat and "starvation mode" doesn't kick in until you surpass the 72 hr mark.
Fat is mobilized and used as fuel whenever energy intake is insuficient to meet demand and because changes in body mass occur over periods of weeks and months rather than hours it doesn't really make a great deal of difference whether you do IF or adopt the Okinawan practice of hara hachi bu. In other words it's the extent and duration of the energy deficit that determines how much weigh is lost not meal timing on any particular day.

The effects of intermittent or continuous energy restriction on weight loss and metabolic disease risk markers: a randomised trial in young overweight women. (wfs)

Quote:
The only real change one is making when doing IF is the time of day they eat their meals. On Leangains specifically, he references several controlled studies and tests that systematically prove that IF does burn fat and not muscle, without a decrease in energy.
Restricting energy intake will result in a decrease in energy levels and this will be especially true for athletes due to reduced glycogen stores, to suggest otherwise is just silly.

Quote:
I literally started reading up on this last week and have actually started IF (paleo) this week and feel great before, after and during my exercises. Everything I have read and testimonials even on this site have been nothing but great, the largest problem is being able to squeeze all that eating into a 5-8 hour window.
Personal testimonials found on commercial websites should not be taken as proof that a diet is effective.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Actually I'm willing to bet that quite a few people have gotten in the best shape of their life, and in their healthiest state, by following internet testimonials and not what the traditional nutritionists/doctors tell them to do.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Quite frankly I don't see any real benefits of IF for athletes
Remember Gant Grimes? Had some pretty impressive numbers, both in strength and metcon capacity. Swore up and down by IF, said it improved both for him.

Diets are like fingerprints... each person has unique needs. IF worked for him, but that doesn't mean it would for you or me or the OP. You are vegan, or at least vegetarian IRRC, that works for you and that's great. Wouldn't for me. Paleo works for some. 10,000+ calories a day of mostly carbs worked for michael phelps. Potato chips and twinkies worked for Dave Tate (until he hit 35 anyway). There's a study for every diet, and a guy somewhere who will swear it changed his life.