CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Todd Neal

Profile:
Pre-WoD MCT Oil

I hadn't heard of bulletproof coffee or MCT oil until my recent return to this forum. Thought I'd pick up some oil this weekend and start ingesting it pre-WoD (right now I work out fasted, 7am). Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, like how much to start with and how long before the WoD to ingest it. Thanks.

(I should note, I think, that I just want to increase overall performance in the box. I tend to burn out on longer workouts (Kelly killed me this morning) and I'm thinking the oil could help for sustained energy.)

Also, speaking of bulletproof coffee, what's the reason butter is suggested over cream?

Last edited by Todd Neal : 08-09-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Pre-WoD MCT Oil

Butter have more fats.

Be careful, BF coffee will kick you out of your fast.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

Butter over cream i believe is because it's incredibly hard to find grass fed cream while grass fed butter is a relatively available. Grass fed Ghee is probably even better because it's had the milk proteins removed.

I take coconut oil shots pre workout, but my workouts are pure strength sessions, I don't really do conditioning aside from some prowler pushes on the weekends. I have noticed a marked increase in performance when consuming coconut oil vs empty stomach. But I don't notice any performance difference between coconut oil vs some fruit. I eat about an hour pre workout, but again I'm not doing metcons so the risk of vomiting is non-existent.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

No reason other than marketing.
Butter is cheaper than Mct or coconut oil
Plus it's more accessible.

Using heavy cream or real whipping cream - liquid
Will do the same thing
Old 08-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
No reason other than marketing. Butter is cheaper than Mct or coconut oil Plus it's more accessible. Using heavy cream or real whipping cream - liquid Will do the same thing
Just to set the record, bulletproof coffee uses butter and coconut oil (MCT). And at least in America, heavy cream and whipping cream are the same. I believe it's different across the pond though (double cream?). But you're right, marketing obviously plays a huge role in even the idea of bulletproof coffee. I'm surprised the dude published the recipe, but maybe he's a nice guy.

Thanks for your advice, Michael.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I make a pre-workout drink of:

Iced Coffe
1 tspn of MCT Oil
10 GR of Chocolate Protein Powder
2.5 GR of Creatine
Old 08-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I think MCT oils have their strongest results in combination with carbohydrate, but if you are not eating carbs I suppose you have to eat something. I would probably just make sure I had a solid meal the night before rather than buy something with questionable pre-workout evidence.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Kerry Kubla

Profile:

While consuming "Bullet Proof Coffee" you should feel an increased mental focus, energy and productivity during your fast. MCT(Medium-Chain Triglicerides)and or coconut oil will increase and promote ketogenisis (the formation of ketones). Coconut oil is around 65% MCT compared to pure MCT oil, and both will put your body in a raised thermogenic state.

Saturated fat, but more particular,cholesterol, is needed to raise testosterone levels. BCCA's taken pre/post workout would also help in training while in IF state and neither will take your body out of Ketosis.

Leangains.com and Bulletproofexec.com are a couple of good sites to check out about IF training.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Phil Washlow

Profile:

If you have never used MCT oil before then be careful with the dosage at first. Anything over 2 tablespoons and you might get diarrhea. It will work as a preworkout for energy (can even cause eye twitches) but it is a thermogenic so be prepared to sweat. I have BP coffee 45 minutes before my workout everyday and I have pleanty of energy but sweat like crazy.

Michael, I have never tried it with Ghee but that sounds like a very interesting idea, might have to give that a go when I finish my most recent stock of Kerry Gold.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
Todd Neal

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Pre-WoD MCT Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Grass fed Ghee is probably even better because it's had the milk proteins removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;1185917
Michael, I have never tried it with Ghee but that sounds like a very interesting idea, might have to give that a go when I finish my most recent stock of Kerry Gold.
Not sure if you know this already, but Ghee is simple to make, and if you use Kerrygold, you'll have grass-fed ghee in no time. Just dump the butter in a sauce pan, cook it until the milk solids start to brown, and then strain it into a jar. I'd use cheesecloth, but you could probably use a fine-mesh strainer to get most of it. Coffee filter might work too... Also, if you've never browned butter before, keep the heat low and swirl the pan (don't stir) often. A light-colored pan will help you know when solids are browning.