CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-24-2006, 02:17 AM   #1
Christopher Stevens

Profile:
I've been doing crossfit for a little over a month now, and do all my pullups with strict form(dead hang). Can anyone give me some advice on how to start kipping? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:00 AM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/eva-on-kipping.wmv

Eva T's kipping progression. A fine place to start.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Excellent link, the trick is to get the swing, and then transfer the back of the swing into the pull. First you have to get the swing at the bottom. Start with your feet on the ground, or on a box. progress to a free swing, then it's all in the timing.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Ronnie Boose

Profile:
Christopher,
Where are you? If at all possible try to make it to an affiliate for some hands on instruction. The video is still a great starting place though.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Don't get frustrated - it took me a year to get a proper kip!
Old 12-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Eva Claire Synkowski

Profile:
for me, it clicked after doing some overhead soccer throw-ins to figure out the hip action.

i also found crossing my legs - in the beginning - helped prevent me from using them to generate the swing motion.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Chris - Mike Burgener does a little trick with a short piece of rope and a weight plate where he pulls the rope and floats the plate for a moment in space in order to give a visual to what you should be doing with your pull before you jump under the weight in a snatch or clean. Look for that float in your kip. As someone else mentioned in another kipping post they are like snowflakes and though you can't ski on them they do differ quite a bit from one person to the next. Yours may be similar to the efficient quick cycle frog kick that Annie does or the loooong and graceful arc that Cill graces the bar with. No matter what your kip turns out to look like what it must do is what a pair of tugboats do when they move a big ship out of the harbor. The tugboats push on a tangent different than the resultant direction of movement but the combined forces conspire to direct the vessel the way they want it to go. Similarly you are creating a wave with your body and translating that wave from a horizontal to a vertical path of travel. Hips my boy, it's all about the hips. The same hips that create the power you need to send a kettlebell overhead in the swing or explosively extend coming up out of a squat will deliver a load reducing benefit to your pullup that will increase your pullup numbers like crazy.

This is a practice thing as much as it is a training thing. You have to connect the neurological dots with lots and lots of practice, which means volume, which means a heck of a lot of pullups. Grease the groove by doing just doing a few PERFECT pullups at a time many times throughout the day. If your form starts to deteriorate go do something else. Do you have a dynamite hip extension during your kettlebell/dumbbell swings? If not, work on that too. We are good at what we do most, so you must make pullups a frequent part of your day. Before you know it you will be a kipping monster.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #8
Christopher Stevens

Profile:
Thanks for all the helpful feedback, and Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #9
Brad Davis

Profile:
Surprised that nobody ever seems to offer the following when kipping comes up in these threads:

Be really, really careful because kipping is hard on the shoulder. I had no shoulder problems and could do a fair number of dead hang pullups. The very first time I tried to learn kipping, I did something to my shoulder. Probably set me back a month. I think I inadequately warmed up my shoulders.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
Anthony Myers

Profile:
Eugene

you mentioned someone named Cill?

do you have a video of his long and graceful arc? the frog kick doesn't really work for me