CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:
Re: All you farmers/gardeners out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...5/f6a28238.jpgwfs

Pic of the garden. I'm glad it's not a contest to see who makes the straightest rows or is most pleasing to the eye. It just makes food
AMRAP weeding for time?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #22
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pasewicz View Post
AMRAP weeding for time?
That's what kids are for . I till between the rows and they pull what's around the plants.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #23
Scott Lookabaugh

Profile:

Well I'm def not a farmer haha. Built 4 raised beds this year, I have been wanting to do it for years now. My girlfriend has had a few gardens in the past so we decided to do it up. We have all kinds of spices and herbs, tons of different peppers and tomatoes, 3 kinds of lettuce, zuc, cucumber, and squash as well as a few strawberry plants. So far been eating the lettuce and and getting a few strawberry's here and there. Can't wait for the tomatoes to start popping and the peppers!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #24
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lookabaugh View Post
Well I'm def not a farmer haha. Built 4 raised beds this year, I have been wanting to do it for years now. My girlfriend has had a few gardens in the past so we decided to do it up. We have all kinds of spices and herbs, tons of different peppers and tomatoes, 3 kinds of lettuce, zuc, cucumber, and squash as well as a few strawberry plants. So far been eating the lettuce and and getting a few strawberry's here and there. Can't wait for the tomatoes to start popping and the peppers!
Awesome! We've been working a bunch of raised beds at my sister's house. They're great, even thought they kind of look like coffins before you fill them.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #25
Kent Newland

Profile:

This is one of my favorite things to talk about, and one of my goals in the next 10 years is to have my own land, at least five acres, to start farming on.

Elliot Coleman does all his farming on a 5 acre plot, and that's how he makes his living. I recommend this book, http://www.amazon.com/New-Organic-Gr...8701252&sr=1-3 (WFS) to all people who are interested in growing even a little bit of their own food. It's a pretty good read, and pretty informative. Not dry and boring at all. Coleman's passion really comes through.

There also a ton of books published by Rodale Press, including a complete book on composting that I have found invaluable for helping to improve my parents' garden.

Going all organic takes a lot of work in the beginning, depending on the size of your plot, but it's totally worth it come fall. Best melons, cucumbers, and peppers that I have ever eaten.

Kent
Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #26
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Spent all day at my sisters place yesterday, helping her husband with the garden. Picked about 3 lbs of peas from a very small area of plants. Crazy high producing crop, it's awesome. Also planted 24 tomato plants and 15 pepper plants, some tarragon, coriander, dill, fennel, and caraway. It was an awesome day, I can't wait for a house. I'm kicking myself now for signing another year lease on our apartment.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #27
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Androsian View Post
Spent all day at my sisters place yesterday, helping her husband with the garden. Picked about 3 lbs of peas from a very small area of plants. Crazy high producing crop, it's awesome. Also planted 24 tomato plants and 15 pepper plants, some tarragon, coriander, dill, fennel, and caraway. It was an awesome day, I can't wait for a house. I'm kicking myself now for signing another year lease on our apartment.
Fun stuff! We picked a big bowl of peas yesterday, then went for a walk around the property and found the wild blackberries are already getting ripe so we picked a bowl of them also.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #28
Mike Johnson

Profile:

This is the summer harvest season already for us here in the desert. I have a ton of butternut squash, zucchini, summer squash, okra, cucumbers, eggplant, potatoes, a few pumpkins, and surprisingly some kale and arugula left over from the winter.

The problem here is I have to plant 3 times a year to take advantage of the seasons. Now that I just finished getting the drip system hooked up, I have to start tilling the next portion. I don't envy anyone with a garden larger than a few hundred square feet.