CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #31
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bullock View Post
I did 70's Big end of last year and made decent gains but eventually hit a wall when I couldn't eat enough and didn't want to go full GOMAD due to the extra fatty weight it brings along with it. What's different about GSLP that doesn't require the big calorie increase?

How much conditioning are you 'allowed' in the program? I'd like to maintain my current level of conditioning while making strength gains. Are the met-cons like that of 70's Big, short and heavy?
I can't identify a single correct answer, but I think it's some combination of the 5+ sets, the slightly decreased lifting volume as compared to 70s Big, the slower and more gradual weight jumps, and the increased recovery time due to the lower training volume. I haven't really changed anything in terms of rest, nutrition, lifestyle factors, etc. vs what I did on 70s Big so I think it's due to those factors.

The basic GSLP program has 2 conditioning workouts per week though you can augment that quite a bit by doing the burpee challenge...basically using FM burpees to work up to being able to do 100 burpees in under 5 minutes. Guidelines for conditioning workouts are similar to CFFB or 70s Big--short (no more than 10-12 minutes), intense, and non-technical movements. Keep things simple but brutal and don't do stuff that'll mess up recovery from your lifting or leave you sore on your next lift day.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #32
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I can't identify a single correct answer, but I think it's some combination of the 5+ sets, the slightly decreased lifting volume as compared to 70s Big, the slower and more gradual weight jumps, and the increased recovery time due to the lower training volume. I haven't really changed anything in terms of rest, nutrition, lifestyle factors, etc. vs what I did on 70s Big so I think it's due to those factors.

The basic GSLP program has 2 conditioning workouts per week though you can augment that quite a bit by doing the burpee challenge...basically using FM burpees to work up to being able to do 100 burpees in under 5 minutes. Guidelines for conditioning workouts are similar to CFFB or 70s Big--short (no more than 10-12 minutes), intense, and non-technical movements. Keep things simple but brutal and don't do stuff that'll mess up recovery from your lifting or leave you sore on your next lift day.
So one needs to still eat lots...? I try to eat fairly clean and having problems getting more than about 2,800 to 3,000 calories without eating all day long or doing something like 1/2 GOMAD.....
Old 08-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #33
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
So one needs to still eat lots...? I try to eat fairly clean and having problems getting more than about 2,800 to 3,000 calories without eating all day long or doing something like 1/2 GOMAD.....
Correction--I meant nothing has changed in terms of supplementation.

I was eating in the neighborhood of 6000 calories a day (including GOMAD) on 70s Big and am probably more in the neighborhood of 4000-4500 on GSLP. Not having to eat to the point of discomfort anymore, which has led to more gradual (and leaner) weight gains than the 35lbs I gained in 2.5 months on 70s Big with GOMAD.

Now instead of GOMAD between meals I add in a few oats and whey shakes a day, they're much easier to stomach and don't pack the get-fat punch of all the lactose and IGF-1 and whatnot that's in milk. And are only about 300-500 calories per compared to 2600 in a gallon of milk.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #34
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Quote:
Correction--I meant nothing has changed in terms of supplementation.

I was eating in the neighborhood of 6000 calories a day (including GOMAD) on 70s Big and am probably more in the neighborhood of 4000-4500 on GSLP. Not having to eat to the point of discomfort anymore, which has led to more gradual (and leaner) weight gains than the 35lbs I gained in 2.5 months on 70s Big with GOMAD.

Now instead of GOMAD between meals I add in a few oats and whey shakes a day, they're much easier to stomach and don't pack the get-fat punch of all the lactose and IGF-1 and whatnot that's in milk. And are only about 300-500 calories per compared to 2600 in a gallon of milk.
What kind of oats? I've been drinking At Large's Post Workout Shake after my workout and then 1 of his protein shakes later in the day. I usually just mix them with water but thought about using milk with the PWO one to increase the calories a bit....
Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #35
Alex Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Walters View Post
Anyone else actually used gslp, especially those who have done ss as well? I would love to hear your experiences
I'm only 3 weeks into the GSLP but from what I've experienced so far, I'm very impressed. I was previously following the CFFB Amateur LP and my squat kept getting stuck at 265. I could never get past 5,2,1, even after a few resets.

Enter GSLP. I started squatting at 245, and the AMRAP set surprised me each time. The 5th rep on the 2nd set always felt tough. But every time I'd hit 5 on that AMRAP set, the reps just kept coming. It really made the mental game much easier every following squat day, knowing I didn't just squeak through on that last set, but I crushed it. Just two days ago, my first time taking on 265 since CFFB, I repped out 12 on the AMRAP set.

All my lifts have been improving, but I use squat as my example because I haven't gotten to my previously stalled weights on my other lifts yet - that's next week. I would recommend GSLP to anybody looking to get stronger and maintain their conditioning. Not only am I getting stronger, I haven't made any significant changes to diet, sleep, etc, and I feel like I'm recovering much better following a M/W/F lifting schedule, with conditioning on Wed and Sat.

If you're interested, you can check out my log: http://strengthvillain.com/forum/vie...hp?f=11&t=2269 (wfs)
Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #36
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
What kind of oats? I've been drinking At Large's Post Workout Shake after my workout and then 1 of his protein shakes later in the day. I usually just mix them with water but thought about using milk with the PWO one to increase the calories a bit....
Plain old Quaker or store brand quick oats. At Whole Foods I think they are about $.69 a pound. Let them soak in water for a few minutes and they're drinkable. A PWO blend is better for PWO obviously because they generally have quicker digesting carbs, but oats are good for meal replacement shakes.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #37
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
JP recommends 3 meals/3 shakes and a carb curfew of 2:00. 2 meals/1 shake before and 2 shakes/1 meal after. Oh - and one free day ...

I try to stay 50p/50c before 2 and then after I do low carb - veggies don't count. I've been supplementing with the cheap whey protein that you buy at walmart.

Here's what's been working for me:

6:30 am - 50p/50c - shake w/ milk, whey, frozen fruit
10:00 turkey sandich
1:00 lunch - ~50p/50c - meat and rice, 12 inch sub, etc ...
4:00 protein shake - 50p in water
7:00 evening meal - Usually meat and green veggies
10:00 protein shake - 50p in water

This is a basic recommendation from JP to me in order to get strong and lean. I've gone up 2 or 3 notches on my weight belt while the weight just keeps going up ...
Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #38
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Quote:
Plain old Quaker or store brand quick oats. At Whole Foods I think they are about $.69 a pound. Let them soak in water for a few minutes and they're drinkable. A PWO blend is better for PWO obviously because they generally have quicker digesting carbs, but oats are good for meal replacement shakes.
I did this a few moments ago at work and it didn't quite turn out so well. I let the oats soak about 3 minutes in a cup of water and then threw them in my shaker cup with some protein. I got 'bite's of oats here n there but most of them were left over once the liquid was gone. Do you use a blender with yours?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #39
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
I did this a few moments ago at work and it didn't quite turn out so well. I let the oats soak about 3 minutes in a cup of water and then threw them in my shaker cup with some protein. I got 'bite's of oats here n there but most of them were left over once the liquid was gone. Do you use a blender with yours?
Did you get quick oats or standard? If you get quick oats they should get pretty puffy and mushy just by soaking in the water, whereas standard oats would likely not change composition much from sitting in water for 3 minutes.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #40
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You can blend them if you want, but as long as they're quick oats they should turn into a drinkable mush after a minute or so in a shaker bottle.