CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Stephen Jens

Profile:
Just dislocated my collarbone. Worried about my future :(

Guys,
A few days ago I dislocated my collarbone after tripping from my mountain bike and landed on the hard pavement
According to the x-ray, my collarbone got dislodged and my ligament was torn but the GP didn't specify what grade. I made an appointment with an ortho but won't meet till March. In the meantime, I'm just wearing a sling(how come the doctor didn't hold the collarbone in place with a strap or bandage? I didn't know about this till I searched the net). I can move my fingers and forearm like normal and the only time I feel pain is when I stretch my arm upwards or pivot my movements by my AC joint. also my shoulder is more relaxed when rolled forward but there's strong bone-like resistance at my AC joint when I try to hold good posture. I can see a bump around where my trap and deltoid meet and it moves when I move my shoulder.
this is really bad and depressing and now I'm left to wonder what the future holds. In the gym I usually do stuff like Oly lifts, front/back squats, push press, pull-ups, power clean/snatch, bench press(flat and inclined) and deadlift. Can anyone with similar injury comment about getting back to any of these exercises or am I forever doomed to rubber bands and light dumbbells? and how long do I have to wear the sling anyway? btw, the GP told me no surgery is needed but if it means getting back to doing my old exercises and avoiding arthritis when I'm in my middle age I might just go for it.
thanks for reading this and hope to hear something positive.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Just dislocated my collarbone. Worried about my future :(

If you can try to work your other arm as maintaining strength in one limb correlates very strongly to maintaining strength in the other to prevent atrophy.

Don't have a similar injury previously so I can't comment on that though.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Jeremy O'Neil

Profile:

Keep your head up and have a positive attitude! You will be surprised how much that will help you in the weeks to come. Although I have never fractured a collar bone I have broken two vertebrate in my neck and spent a lot of time rehabbing from it. Quite simply continue to do LIGHT work with your opposite arm and perform lower body exercises that are comfortable for you. Try to keep your neurological system active during this time, keep moving. Take care and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:03 AM   #4
Stephen Jens

Profile:

thanks for the comments fellas. just curious, if I were to continue working on my healthy side wouldn't that create a muscle imbalance? bad enough I have strength imbalance as it is.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Some strength work (not enough to stimulate hypertrophy if you don't eat anyway) should be fine. Basically just keep the muscles active to prevent atrophy.

Stretching can help as well (as stretching is basically eccentric movements) if you can do those without pain.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Bill Scott

Profile:

I seperated my shoulder playing rugby 22 years ago. My doctor told me that repairing it would get rid of the big bump but would make it more prone to further injury. I opted for the natural healing and have had no problems, other than an unsightly bump, playing sports or working out.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
Stephen Jens

Profile:

Bill,
Right now I feel the tip of my collarbone rubbing against the acromion and this limits my movement quite a bit. I don't like it one bit. is that what you feel? in the long run, won't this cause arthritis? btw, can you still do cleans, bench press, push press and Oly lifts?
thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Patrick Dalton

Profile:

Uhg, I've got a case of the gout from drinking and eating bad the weekend...

Stupid stupid me...

http://www.angrydalty.com/crossfit.htm
Old 02-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
Bill Scott

Profile:

I can do anything I did before the injury and played rugby 6 months later. I can't tell you more than that. You have to find a doc you're comfortable with and work out the best solution for you. Good luck with it.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Tom Meehan

Profile:

When you have a step deformity (big bump where the AC joint is) you are likely to have a grade 3 sprain (essentially a tear). A sling and ice is the first thing you should be doing. If your ortho appointment is much farther than a week and you haven't been fitted with an AC brace - which immobilizes the joint and helps keep the acromium and collar bone approximated - it is likely that the step deformity will be permanant without surgery. The joint will heal but it is slow due to less blood supply to ligaments and even with a permanent step defect you gain regain full strength and range of motion in time.