CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #21
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Small guy with no comparison or something

I'm only vaguely familiar about GSLP and I cannot comment on how to blend the gymnastics with it. I did both 531 and A LOT of gymnastics (15 hours a week give or take) in 2011. My lifts didn't really go up quickly but that could have been the amount of gymnastics and the fact I was only doing 531 simple lifts only (It was more of an assistance program to the Gymnastics Strength Training except as far as Lower Body).

I'm pretty sure you can blend it the gymnastics as conditioning and skill work but you'll have to find out.

I was once 5' and about 115-125. Junior year of HS before I hit the weights during senior year in September. I was still pretty muscular but I doubt I was as big in the posterior chain. I had alright speed. Funny enough even after growing and hitting the weights and bulking up, I was just as fast if not faster (though I rarely did as much running my senior year compared to my junior year).

Right now I'm 5'1 165-170 as I was last year. I ballooned up for awhile but I'm back to this. I should probably work on getting toward 150 which is what I was my early 20's.

Pants are nearly damn impossible. Especially in the thighs. In a suit, I look like the gorilla from Roger Rabbit.

Right now, I'm just doing some general CF at the local box but looking back to getting back to Oly as I was doing in spring. I'm sure I'll still play with gymnastics but that's it will ever be anymore. Just play.

I'm sure I'll bulk a bit more once I'm back to squatting and pressing 4-5x/week. Isn't that why I do Croc rows and 1 arm presses?

Throw in the fact that most of my friends are near 6' and yes I look like a hobbit or dwarf. A lot of the kids I used to coach would often think I was much younger because I was so short and still get kids tell me that I'm short.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #22
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
If only it were that easy... I've been trying to gain weight for 3 years now!
It is very simple. Eat more or do less cardio.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #23
Dan Douglas

Profile:

Eating is your job if you want to gain weight. Its harder than people think, and you will not feel like you are eating for pleasure.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
I think Jim Wendler suggests 3 lbs per inch of bodyweight as a good rule of thumb, so about 192 would probably be a good weight if you want to be really strong. Then a bodyweight press, 1.5 bodyweight bench, 2x bodyweight squat, and a 2.5 bodyweight deadlift would be good numbers to go for once you're that heavy. You're almost at those numbers now, so it should be able to at least maintain those ratios if not exceed them as you get bigger.
I would say this is pretty good - maybe a bit high for the average person to achieve but definitely a strong goal! I am a pretty strong guy I think and here's my stats....

I'm 5'11" and am slightly over 3lb/inch.
My squat is 2.2x bw.
My bench is 1.5x bw.
My deadlift is 2.7x bw.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

I'm also pretty small, here are some of my stats just for comparison:

5'5'' 145
BP ~ 235
Backsquat ~315
DL - 380
Clean - 200
Press - 150

Bench and squat could be higher now, haven't maxed in a while on those. Hope this helps, I try not to compare myself to others, but I think Spealler and Bridges and Malleolo are the small guys of CF...maybe look at what numbers they're putting up (kind of discouraging though).
Old 08-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #26
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cerasuolo View Post
I've been doing GSLP for about 3 weeks now and It's a fun style of lifting I suppose. I was following programs out of a book called "new rules of lifting" before that for a year. I got pretty good hypertrophy results but the strength aspect wasn't that impressive, but I guess I never really aimed for that either.

So we'll see where GSLP takes me.

Also looking to keep some body weight exercise emphasis as well so I picked up overcoming gravity by Stephen Low.

I want to increase strength but I also like doing wierd stufflike handstands and gymnastic stuff like flips so that's where I'm headed I guess. We'll see where I'm at following GSLP for 6 months. I've never done a linear progression, so. I plan to do two of the "viking" challenges a week as well for conditioning. But really my training wasn't even the point of this thread haha.

I was just curious about other short small statured guys out there that lift a lot. I feel like I'm so tiny, but so muscular. It's weird to me. I get compliments on my muscles all the time, but also get told I'm so small. It's a weird place to be in life.
Sounds like a plan!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
Brian Cerasuolo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Sounds like a plan!
I finally ordered your book like 2 days ago!

I'm gonna shift my focus from weights to bodyweight strength training for upper body and see what it's all about! Pretty excited.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cerasuolo View Post
I finally ordered your book like 2 days ago!

I'm gonna shift my focus from weights to bodyweight strength training for upper body and see what it's all about! Pretty excited.
Feel free to shoot me a message here or e-mail if you have Q's or want a routine critique.