CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
Ryan Barnes

Profile:
Hey all, maybe I am just over analyzing it, but I dont understand how to get started with crossfit. I've been browsing around, read the FAQ and perused through the exersises. Everything looks great, but I have no idea how to get started. Is is just as simple as doing the Warmup and WoD every day?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
"Is is just as simple as doing the Warmup and WoD every day?"

Yep, that's pretty much it. Don't overthink it. Just get started at whatever level you feel comfortable at and take your time. You will be able to gague yourself as you go along and you will feel your abilities improve overtime. Look at the "Workout Log" section and get a good idea of individual routines that other members make up that are Crossfit-like. CF is adaptable and scalable. You will find a niche in no time. Like I said, just don't overthink it.
Good luck and welcome.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:46 AM   #3
Henry Adderley

Profile:
Ryan -
I have done what it sounds like you are doing -wondering 'how do I get in on this?' - twice now.
First time I started doing the warmup and then added scaled down versions of the WOD (BrandX offer some good ones) and that was it - that is all you need to do.
If the scaled down version is too easy, scale it down less and less and when you reach the full WOD level, I do not think you will ever find it easy as the workouts are set up to make you challenge yourself to do more each time.
I say twice because I took a leave of absence from crossfitting to train for a half marathon which I raced this past weekend and am now lurking here again and nibbling on the bullet before I bite it and resume Crossfitting.
Enjoy.
Henry
Old 05-29-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Yep. Like the commercial says, just do it. Be careful to not over-train and injure yourself (after a few months you'll probably have an intuitive sense on when your body needs some extra rest but it takes a while to hone that).

Welcome to the party!

:banana:
Old 05-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
Dominic Davison

Profile:
Hi from England!
have just started to use crossfit and its amazing.
I have already started seeing results even if my pullups are still poor! I think the point here is that you have to just keep going and the results will come - I've spent years doing the usual high volume BB stuff and yes it works but its so boring - this stuff is great and lots of the gym geeks have started to take notice when I start with wall ball or thrusters!
I serve in a reserve green beret unit in the UK and have given the link to all my guys and told them to get on with it! watch this space for how they get on and again thanks guys for all your hard work. Am in Chicago in July with my unit so hope to see some of it for real. Oo yah master chief!

Dom
Old 06-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Ryan Barnes

Profile:
Cool, so I will have to take a closer look at this with simplicity in mind. From what I gather, all I have to do is check the WOD and do the Warmup (even if they are scaled down.)

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Connie Morreale

Profile:
there are lots and lots of us out there that dont do the cf warm-up. for example, i usually run or bike or jumprope before any wod, anything that breaks a sweat. i want to go into the wod fresh and strong.
alot of people find the warmup a workout in and of itself
Old 06-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Brian Yoak

Profile:
One of the many things I love about CrossFit is the fact that you can adjust WOD to your fitness level.
Just get out there and do it. You will build strength, stamina, power, and coordination just by getting out there and trying.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.