CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Jason Billows

Profile:
I was doing some reading on Pose method running and this thought entered my mind...

In doing Crossfit one of our goals is to develop general physical preparedness so that our bodies can respond to the challenges life throws at us. Pose will certainly help develop us physically similar to heel strike running but does it really prepare us for life's challenges? After all, any time that our lives will call for us to run in an emergency situation we'll likely be wearing shoes. For example, military personelle in the field or a police officer on the job.

I suppose that on the flip side there would be times when you'd be called to run when you're not wearing shoes and so Pose would be more beneficial than a heel strike style of running. For example, you could be laying on the beech and suddenly have to run down the mucle head that kicks sand in your face and tries to steal your girlfriend/boyfriend.
:happy:

Anyway, I'm a little bored at work and thought I'd post to see what others think.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
You don't have to be barefoot to run pose.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Definitely don't have to be barefoot.

Barefoot does facilitate the learning process and proprioception in the best POSE running form one can do.

Typical running shoes require more focus on proper running mechanics, as running shoes these days are made to heel-strike.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
David Cynamon

Profile:
The purpose of pose isn't how to learn to run barefoot, as Dr. G above mentioned, you don't need to be barefoot to run pose. Running barefoot is commonly used as an example how people will run more naturally on their forefoot, but most people run in shoes.

The purpose of pose IS to run more efficiently and injury free.

The landing of the forefoot beneath the center of mass with a slightly bent knee produces less stress and pounding on the joints. The technique uses gravity for propulsion so it is supposed to me more efficient. (I didn't read the book, but this is my understanding as well as what I got from Pirie's book).
Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Jason Billows

Profile:
I realize the purpose of Pose is not to run barefoot. What I intended to ask was what happens if you have to run when you're wearing shoes that are not Pose friendly. A

nother thread has recently been posted with a similar question as the posters military boots do not have a low enough heel to run effectively using the Pose method. So, if in a work environment you cannot run with the Pose form you train with due to footware, does it mean you are minimizing your GPP?

I realize this is more a question of inadequate footware and the arguments is that Pose is better for your body. This was a post out of boredome and random thoughts that was perhaps not given enought thought or direction in my questions.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:47 AM   #6
Tom C Lopez

Profile:
jason, i think you nailed what i was trying to ask in the other thread, i just got some insoles and am looking at chopping them about (as jabreel advised) to level the foot up.

i have always done all my other training (weights, sprinting,cycling and martial arts) in the boots i would be wearing when i really need to be at my best...
distance running i always wore running shoes, just never thought not too...

i will let you if i make the change successfully..