CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
Joe Cloutier

Profile:
I'm considering to apply in JTF 2 after I'm done with university. Been in the Canadian Army reserve for almost two years now and I'm loving it. I've made a few posts here before, mainly about training for parkour and such but now the kind of fitness that is demanded of these guys is pretty extreme, or so I hear.

The PT itself I'm not too scared of:
* 1.5 mile run - 9 min 45 sec or less
* Push ups (no rest stops) - min 40
* Sit-ups (1 minute) - min 40
* Over hand, straight arm pull-ups - min 5
* Bench press from chest to full arm extension - 1 press min 65 KG
* CF Swim Test

My 2.4k run is around 10:30-11:00 mins right without pushing all that hard, so I could drop it down to the req'd time if I had to. However, that's not my main concern since I'm FAR from the point where I'll be applying. The rest I can already do. However I'm afraid that it's the 7-day screening process after this PT that will be really awfully hard. The normal training I am being put through as a reservist isn't really hard for the most part (some of it I find rather easy) but I'm guessing special forces training is a hell of a lot more difficult. So does anyone happens to have gone through it, and can give me pointers on the best ways to make it through that and be selected?

I'm pretty good when it comes to weight training, powerlifting and all that but I've never been the biggest fan of endurance stuff.

So..
1) How should I train to be most efficient through this 7-day screening process? CF all the way or mix in some other things as well?
2) How good do I really need to be? (2,4k run, max push-ups, pull-ups, max effort lifts, etc)

Right now I think I can rep out around 50 push-ups and 20-25 pull-ups (kippers, probably more like 16-18 dead hang).

Thanks in advance people!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
You should see how many dead hang pullups you can do now.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Joe Cloutier

Profile:
Just did and got 14. Grinded aaaalmost to the top on the 15th but I guess it wouldn't have counted as a full rep. So my estimates for those were slightly enthusiastic... But I used to be able to do 19 or so. It's just a matter of working on them a bit and they'll get back up pretty quickly.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
What I would do is try the PT test and see where I'm at, then improve upon it.

I'm not in special forces or anything but if I were you I'd try to get at least 100 pushups, 70+ situps, 20+ pullups, 90+ kg bench, 8:30 or less run, plus do the swim portion a lot faster than the minimum. I'd say crossfit + some specific training would work for you.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
Joe,
You could look into the CrossFit program designed at the PPLI Infantry school - I'm sure it's somewhere on this site (look for the Austere Program), and it might be a good place to start.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Joe,

First, mental preparation is key. Do your most challenging workout two or three times and then do the PT test (even if you have a couple hours of rest between).
I don't know much about Canandian SOF but the seven days are just that - seven days. Don't plan on being happy (unless you are a masochist ;) ), getting sleep, getting rest, eating, being dry or understanding why you are supposed to do some of the tasks you are assinged. You might be allowed to occasionally drink water and breathe if your class does well. Probably not though.

For the physical part:
Find out how pull-ups are graded. The school I was just at (not SOF though) didn't count a rep unless your adam's apple was above the bar. Sometimes you have to touch your collarbone to the bar before it counts. I'm willing to bet it won't matter how many kipping pull-ups you can do, even though kips are a good training tool.

Also, forget the minimums. Minimums probably won't get you through the school even if you make it through the first week. Find the graduation standards of the school/schools and judge yourself by that. If you can't, double everything and try for the run in about seven minutes.

How bad do you want it? On the "indoc" run I dry heaved twice, fell on my face once and nearly passed out after that. I almost drowned in a pool before I even got to the school doing underwater swims. A friend of mine passed out in the pool twice and I felt like a sissy because I couldn't hold my breath there long enough (mental barriers). Unless your physical conditioning is poor (again, meeting minimums), the mental part will probably be the clincher.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Sam Michaud

Profile:
Joe,

You should know that two things about the JTF2 selection test:

1) You can't pass the test by only achieving the minimums that you have outlined above. The entire test is scored and to achieve the minimum pass mark you have to significantly exceed several of those criteria while meeting at least the minimums in the rest.

2) Passing the test only gets you through the door. The standards within JTF2 are higher.

Sam
Old 05-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
Joe Cloutier

Profile:
'Aight..

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I was pretty sure you had to be one hell of a sicko to get through that. I think I want it bad enough though. I'm getting a bachelor's degree in uni because my parents are making me but deep inside I know I've always wanted to be a soldier.

Run in 7:00? Hell I'm going to have to work real hard to get there. I held time for a 2,4k today and pushed all-out... scored 9:20. Clearly insuficient! I want to own this PT test and tear it apart before I apply.

So here's what I've got so far:
* 1.5 mile run - 9 min 45 sec or less - did 9:20
* Push ups (no rest stops) - min 40 - did 53
* Sit-ups (1 minute) - min 40 - did 61, but I'm unsure of the exact way they are performed in the PT
* Over hand, straight arm pull-ups - min 5 - did 14
* Bench press from chest to full arm extension - 1 press min 65 KG - did 93,2kg (205lbs)
* CF Swim Test - haven't tried that yet, but I'm a very poor swimmer so I'll need to make that one top priority, along with the running.

Anyhow, I have about two years before I get out of uni to get my fitness top-notch and become a good swimmer so I'm not too worried. Just glad I digged the topic for info so I can prepare ahead of time. I checked out that austere program too - basically CF with ammo cans? I have access to a gym, so I guess CF will do!

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
I also think Land Nav and Ruck marching are often overlooked. Though I have to agree, swimming is something you really have to practice.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
David Ristau

Profile:
I looked into the JTF when the army first took it over from the RCMP. I'm glad my mind caught up with me...

As already mentioned, forget about the minimums. Get everything up past the minimums. You also want to start working on your mental programing, half of the screening process is mental. Really start working your navigation, that's the easy part. Marching, start going farther, faster, carrying a weighted ruck, hill work, etc. and start slow {whatever your current pace is} and work up. Don't fall into a 'routine' really mix up your marches. One or two good ones a week should do it and after a while you can also work in your nav at the same time.

Next the swimming, if your weak here then this is where you can make the most gains with the time you have left. Not only work on swim test, but start swimming, working and doing different tasks in the water with different pieces of your clothing on and working up to full dress {including boots}.

Remember ~ be safe ~ you want to make it to your screening. Some other things you can work on are weapons, fieldcraft, recce, etc. You may also want to try getting the austere program up and running in your unit!

Best of luck, let us know your progress.