CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Antonio Roca

Profile:
Basketball as medicine ball question

Hey everyone,

So I've turned my basketball into a medicine ball with a knife, some sand, a funnel, and a good amount of time... However, before I seal up my ball, I am wondering if the inside will be corroded if I put some water in there for the sand to soak up. I figure this would be an easy way to get some extra weight, but that's no good if it'll eventually deteriorate and pour all the sand on top of my head!!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Bobby Nauss

Profile:
Re: Basketball as medicine ball question

Mine ended up weighing in around 20-22 pounds, so I didn't mess with putting water in it. I would worry about the water degrading whatever type of sealant you are going to use to fix the hole for the sand.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Tyler Young

Profile:

I did the same thing. I'm pretty sure mine was 22.5 lbs and was only about 95% full. Try to get it as full as possible, because when any air gets left inside, any time you drop it, it compresses that air and will eventually bust whatever seal you put over the cut you used to fill it. One day I dropped it, and it cut through the 10ish layers of Duct Tape and blew up all over the place
Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I didn't use any water, I think that would slosh around and be gross. I used that Stuff It spray foam that expands. Then I put a piece of screen on the side glued with gorilla glue. Then I put a couple pieces of duct tape over the glued on screen. That way for any sand to get out it'd have to get through the foam, screen/gorilla glue, and duct tape...or just break the ball entirely.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Antonio Roca

Profile:

Hey Matt,

Where can I pick up some of that Stuff It foam and for about how much?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

My bad on the naming, it's called "Great Stuff".

You can get it at home depot or lowes and it's pretty cheap, $4 or so.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_13617-236-22...ProductDisplay (WFS)

It's crazy sticky so be careful with it. But you spray it out and then it expands to fill the space. It's good for filling up the ball so that the sand doesn't flop around too much. I've also used it for insulating some gaps in my garage floor.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Eric Soderlund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
I didn't use any water, I think that would slosh around and be gross. I used that Stuff It spray foam that expands. Then I put a piece of screen on the side glued with gorilla glue. Then I put a couple pieces of duct tape over the glued on screen. That way for any sand to get out it'd have to get through the foam, screen/gorilla glue, and duct tape...or just break the ball entirely.
If anyone goes this route make sure your careful how fast you fill it (and wear your safety glasses), I just had a gusher of foam fly out. While pretty comical it did make a nice mess (in the grass).
Old 08-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Jerry McDonald

Profile:

I've made 3 medicine balls so far by cutting a slit in the ball, adding sand, then glueing the opening with gorilla glue. As an added touch I encase the ball in duct tape.

I used a soccer ball for a 15lbs med ball and it works great and holds its shape better than a basketball.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
Christian Larson

Profile:

i used to slit the basketballs but it eventually breaks, i've improved my designs since. I now drill a seperate hole with at least a 1/2in. (give or take) drill bit that way the sand has a minimal space as to which escape, then seal it up with rubber cement or even use stronger rubber cement like that used to repair car tires, I then apply a tire repair patch that can be purchased at napa. after all the gluing, cement, and so fourth has set you can use a standard needle to inflate the ball each time it looses air and then your med ball is basically a dynamax without the forgiving fluffy padding! I've got 8-10 med balls in various weights in my garage box. hope this helps for ideas
Old 09-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
Jason Martin

Profile:

I got a bunch of those plastic grocery bags, and jammed them into the whole after I couldn't fit anymore sand. I was amazed at how many I got in there. This made sealing up the cut a little easier (as there is more backing support). It also prevents sand from escaping if the thing bursts.

I had to cover the thing with a roll of tape, but it has held well so far.

I can only imagine that every home-made wall ball will one day burst. Wet sand that has been inside a ball for months or years might be really... really nasty.