CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #41
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Glen Becks $9 online university 9 classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
The screaming must be inside your head, because I've heard Beck quite a bit and I don't recall him screaming very much, if at all. He uses a chalkboard a lot and makes arguments. As for the "hate" and "racist" charges (Why did I know the latter was coming?), they themselves are rhetorical screams designed to shut down debate. All you have done is repeat the same charges over and over again with no specifics to offer whatsoever. You are guilty of that which you charge Beck.
How did you know the latter was coming? Because he is. He sure does harp on the president being black a lot and uses it as an argument against him. The whole "He hates white people!" and going on about his "white agenda" is a little bit out there.

As for the screaming:

WFS)

And yes a rhetorical scream is a great way to finish a debate when you don't agree with the person. Do you do that too in person Ned?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #42
John Stone

Profile:

Glenn Beck has already admitted in an interview (about the Glenn Beck program) that he considers himself "an entertainer" and "an actor who portrays a character," and has stated on numerous occasions he does what he does for not other reason than the money.

Glenn Beck is something of an IQ test for our generation. If you watch him, and believe what he says, you fail.

Here is Glenn Beck, before he worked for FOXNews, railing against the American private health care system: (WFS).

He couldn't get a big enough audience for his craziness on CNN, so he eventually left for Fox.

Also, funny how in his screamo video he claims he has never had any illness at all in his life.

Last edited by John Stone : 07-12-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #43
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Shane/Dimtri,

I mean that education/science/state are involved in such a symbiotic relationship that they are essentially monolithic. This is a general truth, but not true of all of academia. Some universities, recognizing the corrupting influence of federal money, refuse to accept it. Some academics remain fiercely independent, in spite of threats and grave harm to their careers (For example, Peter Duesberg, Berkeley). Grants are given to reward those scientists who toe the statist line and withheld to punish those who do not. Thus, the desired "scientific" outcome is generally enforced.

For elaboration I found this article. I may not agree with every word, but it is generally true. Please read.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/englund/englund57.1.html

(WFS)

Pertaining to the definition of "elite," I should have been more precise. There is nothing wrong with being elite, per se. I mean "elitism." This is a matter of attitude and motive. One set of rules for some, another set for the rest.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #44
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Shane/Dimtri,

For elaboration I found this article. I may not agree with every word, but it is generally true. Please read.

(WFS)
Wait, what? I agree that there are words there...

Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #45
Antonio Roca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tluczek View Post
Wait, what? I agree that there are words there...
I second that

Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #46
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
How did you know the latter was coming? Because he is. He sure does harp on the president being black a lot and uses it as an argument against him. The whole "He hates white people!" and going on about his "white agenda" is a little bit out there.

As for the screaming:
(WFS)

And yes a rhetorical scream is a great way to finish a debate when you don't agree with the person. Do you do that too in person Ned?
Beck's take on the president's attitude toward whites is right on target. Becks problem with the president is his ideology, not his race. It is you who refuse to separate the two. Not only that, but this preoccupation with whites is endemic to the left ("typical white males", angry white men", the founders dismissed as "dead white men," etc.). Beck backs his assertions with facts: words from Obama's writings, his relationship with J. Wright, etc.

As I sit, the Obama justice department has spiked the prosecution of radical Black Panthers for policing polls with clubs and making threats to voters who might dare to vote for a "cracker.". A prosecutor has resigned in protest. These are facts, not supposition. I guess all these facts must mean that "Beck is a hater." Why do you refuse to see what is right in front of you?

To all: I think I am going to voluntarily withdraw because I do not see this thread going anywhere. I am surprised it has survived this long. I have enjoyed our debate. You now know what I believe and you are free to evaluate it as you wish. Despite what you may think, I love you guys and wish you all the best. - Ned

Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #47
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Shane/Dimtri,

I mean that education/science/state are involved in such a symbiotic relationship that they are essentially monolithic. This is a general truth, but not true of all of academia. Some universities, recognizing the corrupting influence of federal money, refuse to accept it. Some academics remain fiercely independent, in spite of threats and grave harm to their careers (For example, Peter Duesberg, Berkeley). Grants are given to reward those scientists who toe the statist line and withheld to punish those who do not. Thus, the desired "scientific" outcome is generally enforced.

(WFS)

Pertaining to the definition of "elite," I should have been more precise. There is nothing wrong with being elite, per se. I mean "elitism." This is a matter of attitude and motive. One set of rules for some, another set for the rest.
I am afraid this author's reality is not one I live in, so I can't relate. I don't feel oppressed at all, and don't buy this propaganda that somehow makes it seem as if the world is gonna end if we don't abolish the government.

I worked hard and now study at a great university, have good professors and if I don't feel I have been given sufficient information, I find it elsewhere. Despite a tough job market, many of our graduates get great jobs and make a good living. I don't understand why this guy makes it sound as if we are all living in some third world country.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #48
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Dimitri,

Look at excersize and nutrional science for the past 30 years for an example of what Ned was referring to.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #49
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Beck's take on the president's attitude toward whites is right on target. Becks problem with the president is his ideology, not his race. It is you who refuse to separate the two. Not only that, but this preoccupation with whites is endemic to the left ("typical white males", angry white men", the founders dismissed as "dead white men," etc.). Beck backs his assertions with facts: words from Obama's writings, his relationship with J. Wright, etc.

As I sit, the Obama justice department has spiked the prosecution of radical Black Panthers for policing polls with clubs and making threats to voters who might dare to vote for a "cracker.". A prosecutor has resigned in protest. These are facts, not supposition. I guess all these facts must mean that "Beck is a hater." Why do you refuse to see what is right in front of you?

To all: I think I am going to voluntarily withdraw because I do not see this thread going anywhere. I am surprised it has survived this long. I have enjoyed our debate. You now know what I believe and you are free to evaluate it as you wish. Despite what you may think, I love you guys and wish you all the best. - Ned
Your world is obviously different from mine - I honestly do not feel this radicalism affecting any aspect of my life.

Whole milk still tastes good, Crossfit is still fun, entertainment and food is still plenty, discussions here are still fun. Life's good, dunno, radical Obama needs to try harder for me to notice, I think.

The first 45s of this clip on youtube (of Bill Hicks, perhaps you've heard of him) explains my attitude towards articles like the ones you posted, pretty much spot on:
(wfs)

Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #50
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Dimitri,

Look at excersize and nutrional science for the past 30 years for an example of what Ned was referring to.
Umm, look at neuroscience or just plain biology for counter-example? Those guys are doing some incredibly cool work nowadays, yes, even at state universities. Math has had some awesome achievements recently, and math is just about the purest science. I agree though, exercise science/nutrition do need to catch up. Then again, how many of the brightest scientists actually wanna study exercise science/nutrition...if I had the choice between studying neural regeneration and the Zone diet, I sure as hell wouldn't make it my life counting other people's blocks.