CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
Jeremiah Hurley

Profile:
hello all, im a recent convert from the gym rat lifestyle to crossfit. ive been in the military for about 10 years and my gym time has caught up with me. Im starting to find that ive gotten to big to continue to run how i need to (a lot faster than i am now.) Over the last 5 years ive gained 40 pounds and am looking for a good way to get rid of some of this extra weight (read fat) Ive cut back on my lifting to 3 days a week and do some sort of crossfit workout on the 3 on 1 off schedule. Is there anything else i should be doing? thanks for the help
Old 08-10-2005, 02:19 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Hi Jeremiah, having started CF style training, the next big step you could take to help shed the insulation is cleaning up your diet. The nutrition forum is a goldmine of common sense info but your best bet in the beginning would be to grab copies of the CrossFit Journal relating to nutrition. These will give you a running start on the Zone eating plan which is what many people use round here.

The very basic summary is that each meal should comprise 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Works even better when you get rid of the breads, potato's and other starches and try to get all your carbs from fruit and veg. As a personal trainer I have had clients wish out loud for a pill to lose fat. Crossfit + the Zone is the closest thing I have found to that pill. This **** really does work!!

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers, kempie
Old 08-10-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
Jeremiah Hurley

Profile:
thanks for the info. ive been trying to sort my way through the nutrition page but that has always been my biggest weakness. ive had some history with eating disorders while wrestling in college, so i eat what i want now. i guess that has been part of the problem.

any advice about the additional workouts?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:53 AM   #4
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Jeremiah, it really depends on your goals. If fat loss is your main goal then I would reccommend doing the WOD's as they come up(modified as necessary) on a 3 on/1 off or 5 on/ 2 off schedule. If you pick and choose (not saying you are) it is easy to do those that pitch to your strengths and ignore those that flaunt your weaknesses. Remember you will always improve a previously ignored weakness faster than an oft-trained strength!

As far as modifying the WOD's, bias the weight towards the lighter end of the scale so you can keep it moving and emphasise the metabolic demands rather than going full weight and grinding the reps out in many little sets.

Any other training time you have available could be learnt practicing any of the many new skills that CrossFit introduces into the training mix. After a month or so of this, start ratcheting up the intensity of the WOD's. Once you have consistency and intensity fairly well bedded down, then you could think about adding additional strength training.

This approach will help prevent overdoing things. The WOD is strong medicine and will hit you in new and unexpected ways. Ease into it with consistency and then once you are doing the WOD's with intensity, if you notice there are any attributes not being developed then start adding small focussed measures of extra work.

Hope this helps

kempie
Old 08-12-2005, 05:10 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jeremiah, first of all re-read the previous posts...all great information. You need to dial in nutrition and get on a regular Crossfit schedule (modify as needed). Take the nutrition dial in slow. I would take it in this order:

Week 1: Research the Zone and buy a digital food scale, measuring cups and spoons, pots and pans. Make a Zone friendly food list. On Friday clear out all of the junk food from you house (or if you live with someone...confine it to one area, lower or higher than eye level). On Saturday go food shopping. On Sunday cook all of your lean meats (good day to grill or work out your George Foreman Griller). Weigh each piece of meat and put the proper amount into its own zip lock baggie. You now have most of your protein ready and waiting for you. I also make a weeks worth of steel cut oatmeal and store in a sealed bowl.
Almonds and macadamia nuts are easy fat sources (3 almounds = 1 block of fat / 1 mac = 1 block of fat), you will also be taking fish oil (I go with Carlson's this does not count in your fat blocks). Be sure to get bags of salad and fresh fruit and vegs.

Week 2: On Monday start the Zone. Your goal is not to be 100% but just use this as a break in week. 50% of your meals should be in the exact Zone. I want you to record the exact measures of meals you like. Use this time to experiment with foods and spices. By the end of this week you should have at least 3 or 4 meals you really like recorded.

Week 3: Zone 100% during the week Saturday and Sunday off. Continue to recors good meals. You will find you will use the same meals over and over....don't worry, Iv'e eaten the same breakfast (with small modifications) for over a year! Discover ways to decrease prep time (mark a plastic cup so you don't have to sue the measuring cup, ie. I have a marked plastic cup for blueberries which I put in my oatmeal.)

Week 4: Zone 100% one cheat meal on the weekend.

Week 5: Zone 100%

Week 6: Research paleo foods and on your weekly shopping trip, start to buy some more paleo friendly foods (you already have a ton of paleo friendly foods, but try to make some diffrent choices). You could stop exactly measuring everything now, I would continue to measure foods which are unusual to your regular diet.

Following weeks: continue to add paleo foods until you are paleo/zone. During this whole experiment, walk 45 minutes a day.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Jeremiah Hurley

Profile:
thanks for all the great info. i guess im just a little nervous that crossfit and my 45 min walk a day wont be enough cardio to get me where i need to be as far as running for work. i am completely sold on crossfit to build functional strength, i guess i havent been doing it long enough to really be comfortable with the cardio side of it.

is that normal? does anyone else out there supplement crossfit with additional cardio based workouts?

thanks again
Old 08-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Jeremiah,

While some CFers here supplement CrossFit with additional Specific Physical Preparedness work, not so many do any extra "cardio", unless they are training for a race. Once you complete Cindy, Barbara, or Fran in good time (See Lynne's FAQ page if you don't know exactly what these "girls" entail), you will understand that you don't need much more cardio.

My own SSP is done with kettlebell work, and since starting CrossFit, I have not found any use for additional steady-state exercise except when I am testing my run times for a military PFT. This is my own training, though, and you may have different goals.

Long story short: Do what works for you.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #8
Butch White

Profile:

Hey Larry, your "Zone" post is outstanding. It's now in my "CF notes" file I've been keeping over the last several months. Thanks for taking the time to make that contribution.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
Jeremiah Hurley

Profile:
Larry, Eric, Chris
thanks for all the great advice. i went out and picked up Enter the Zone this morning. very good read so far. it makes a lot of sense. if i have any questions ill continue to look on the boards then post as necessary. Eric thanks for the thoughts about Crossfit and prep for a PFT. teh run part of the PFT was the area i was most concerned with when i started Crossfit about 2 months ago.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:58 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Butch, it's sort of a rough outline for an article I'm writing for the PM! Stay tuned.