CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-09-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
vincent ciacciarelli

Profile:  
Hello, I'm brand new to this board and this is my first post. I am very happy that I have found this program, It is exactly what I've been looking for for a long time. I have only done the WOD for the past two days and have already recomended this program to five people.
(NOW FOR MY NEW GUY QUESTION)
I am to training for a Law Enforcement related test in four months. I am positive that this program will put me in the exact shape I need to be in to complete the required tasks, with the possible exception of running. I am not a runner. I will be required to run a mile and a half in under 12 minutes, (not to bad)& be expected to carry this pace for three miles during PT. 3 miles in 24 minutes. I think I may need some specialized training to accomplish this, however I am not sure. Maybe I should follow the WOD for a few days a week and run a few days a week????
If anyone has any information to offer that may help me out it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Vincent,

Here are some threads that may help:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/2194.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/3829.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/3648.html

As a side note, I found them by typing "police" and "test" into the Search page you can find at the top of board.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 06-09-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Vincent-

Every other rest day do a run of between 1.5 and 3 miles. You will get a good volume of running in the WOD and your run times will likely improve quite a bit without the additional running. Check through the archives, particularly in the testimonials section. If you have not done so already grab a copy of Enter The Zone. You will do great!

BTW- Welcome to CrossFit!
Robb
Old 06-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
vinny9744

Profile:  
Thanks for all your advice. I'm sure it will help me out.(ps. I just changed from my full name to my username)

Robb, at my current fitness level, I can't run a mile without having to stop at least a few times. Should I maybe start a beginner running schedule along with the WOD, until I' physically able to run a 5k nonstop (WOD in the morning running in the evening)? Or would that be seriously over training? Thanks again, Vinny.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Vinny-

As to the overtraining I am not sure...you will have to keep tabs on that and cycle your intensity and volume of training rationally.

Do not worry about breaking up the runs. The Intervals will get you fit faster than long slow grinding efforts. It will take some time but you will get where you need to be.
Keep us posted
Robb
Old 06-10-2004, 04:46 PM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
As a side note. . .Every time the WOD calls for a 5K run I attempt to set a PR. Set one today! The only long distance running I partake in is what is prescribed in the WOD. Don't do any extra running.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:00 PM   #7
Philip Mancini Jr.

Profile:
Vinny,

As you can tell, Robb and Mike are excellent resources in your goal of getting into law enforcement shape.

I've been a police officer for 9 years and my only 2 cents is that even if you only followed the Crossfit workouts, you'd be in better shape than all of your competition. Robb's suggestion on the rest day runs is an excellent idea.

You also need to listen to your body. If you're feeling worn out the day after a Crossfit workout, take a day off.

I'm sure if you continue to post your progress on this site, you'll receive more support than you ever thought you would. Best of luck!
Old 06-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
I recommend doing one Tabata running workout on a rest day and 1 long run during a rest day. Add some distance every week on your long run, even if it is just one lap. Also, try to increase your speed. The main focus should be on building your distance. Considering that you need to run 3 miles, I would work up to 6-8 miles and then focus on getting faster. When you hit 6-8 miles, every other week I'd run half that distance (3-4) while focusing on time. When you hit that point I'd sub every other Tabata day with a 1-1.5 mile run done for speed. I never had to do police tests. I am fairly familiar with Crossfit, but this workout comes primarily from my background as a runner. You have plenty of time to get in shape for this test.
Good luck.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:50 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I spent almost 4 months in a police academy in 1990. We ran every morning, approximately 3 miles, as a group. It ain't an olympic training group pace! We were cranking about 12 - 13 minute miles. You will do great with Robb's suggestions.