CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-14-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
What was the availability of fruit to paleo man? At best it was seasonal and even then I am guessing it was limited. If this is the case I think it makes a stronger case for high fat high protein low card. Any thoughts or insights?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:06 AM   #2

Profile:

i would limit fruit quite a bit. if you do eat it, do so seasonally as you say and in reasonable amounts. times and quantities available probably varied quite a bit among regions, but bottom line is that fructose doesn't appear to do your liver or adipose tissue any favors.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Frank Menendez

Profile:
So perhaps 2-3 blocks at breakfast, maybe lunch and the rest from complex carbs (sweet potato, yams, etc.) is the best option?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #4

Profile:

probably all right, but honestly, i do about 2-3 blocks/month.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
What % carbs do people usually eat when eating paleo?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Greg, the rest comes from where for you?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #7

Profile:

i get most of my carbs from vegetables and sweet potatoes/yams, but i don't eat that many, nowhere near 40% of cals.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I'm with Greg. Some paleo advocates fantasize of a huge variety of different fruits being available to paleo man. The real story is much different. In our industrial world the use of chemical pesticides and vehicles for shipment of produce allows us year-round access to virtually any type of fruit. Before modern technology developed into what it is today fruit would have been a rare treat for paleo man. Without the use of pesticides, insects and other animals would likely consume a large portion of the available fruit before man got the chance, shortening the already brief length of time of fruit's availability. Not to mention that during the winter and fall months fruit would be virtually non-existent. Paleo man typcically ate 25% of his calories (and many times less) of total carbohydrate. Most, if not all, of these carbs came from complex sources (ie tubers, squash, pumpkin, carrots, and curciferous vegetables to a lesser extent).
Old 09-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
John D Wilson

Profile:
Somewhat related. Several sources suggest eating carbs and protein separately.

An old book by Paavo Airola (sp?) explains that protein requires HCL (acid) and that the veggies are basic. He suggested eating your protein first to facilitate protein digestion.

Morse (Evolutionary Diet) advocates separation.

It makes some sense in that paleo hunters would probably (IMHO) be opportunistic - eating their veggies as they found them during the hunt. I don't see them carrying them along to have with their protein later. Indeed, maybe some complex carbs would help with the rigors of the hunt.

I know that Barry Sears advocates each meal being in the Zone. I'm not so sure.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
That's the food combining rules, do not eat protein and starches together. (not including veg). I do not find I have digestive disorders so will continue to eat some starches with protein at times (but I don't eat zone, more paleo type). I imagine if you eat paleo most of your meals are protein/veg/fat anyways, so overall digestive issues are minimized even when you do eat starches with protein. (food combining also says to eat fruit 30min prior to any starch or protein)

As for fruit, can't imagine alot of paleo men ate them, it all depends on season and region they were located in. Fruit was probably a special treat once in a while, but not a staple.