CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
About a month ago I drove from California to Florida and my workouts got put on the back burner for about 2 weeks. Well when I got home I jumped right in and have been experience the worse muscle soreness after my workouts now. I know for some people this is a normal occurrence but no so for me. Before the trip I was working out at least twice a day and had relatively no muscle soreness. My diet has remained much the same all though I have been more strict lately. Did two weeks really throw me off that much?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
Zach Davis

Profile:
Jeffrey,

I hit the wall last Monday... apparently needed to up my fat intake. Anyway, the net result was that i took about 5 days off. Today will be day number 3 back into the WODs and my other work, and I am crazy sore.... feels like i just started CrossFitting.

My case could be exacerbated by lack of adequate sleep (11-week-old son) and stress (opening a CrossFit facility in Reno).

It does feel nice to know that the over-soreness will go away in a week or so.

Zach
Old 08-16-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Deconditioning occurs when you take any significant amount of time off with no exercise (usually 5+ days). I had been doing hard conditioning for gymnastics for multiple days in a row (and making huge strides), but when I took a vacation with my family for a week about 3 weeks ago and didn't do much exercise during the trip, I was sore next time I did a hard workout. And then I was sore again after the next workout. But it eventually goes away as your body gets used to the workouts again. Your muscles basically decondition after a few days of no intense stress on them and you have to build back up to that level of conditioning (while dealing with muscle soreness :-().

This isn't a nutrition question at all, by the way. Although if you had a bad diet (like me :crazy:) then it can exacerbate the problem.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
It's also likely that your "recovery machinery" switched into low gear. Before you're trip, your Testosterone, IGF1, GH and other anabolic hormones would have been in their prime, so your body's ability to recover would have been much better. You take 2 weeks off without workouts and all the exercise induced hormonal stimulation fades away. Then you get back and can probably perform at a relatively high level, but the circulating horomone levels are not present yet. It may take a couple of days / workouts depending on your physiology to get back into that "prime" state of performance and recovery regardless of what you're diet looks like.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:16 AM   #5
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I recently had muscle soreness after just one week of laying off. It does sneak up on you, and faster than you think! You just have to work through it, and don't overdo things either. Easing back into your routine will allow the fastest return.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:25 AM   #6
Richard Boureston

Profile:

A good rule of thumb is to start at 10% of your normal multiplied by the number of weeks off and then add that 10% back in every week.

If you do this you won't be too sore, but more importantly you won't injure yourself trying to get back up to speed.

So in your case I would have recommended doing 20% less then your normal ability since you were off for 2 weeks and then do 10% less of your normal then next week and then go back to your normal amount on the third week.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #7
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
yeah wish i would have scaled back becasue i sure paid a price in soreness! I thought maybe i wasn't getting enough calories to support the reparing of muscles but i suppose i will just work through it and will back to normal soon.