CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-12-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
Travis Ransom

Profile:
I have searched this, but haven't really found what I was looking for. I am thinking about adding this supplement (weight gainer) based on feedback I hear from you all. I am at 160lbs and stand 5'8". Single digets in body fat. I am eating 24 blocks a day and am not putting on any weight. I have been eating at 24 for about a month in a half. I was curious if I could add this to my diet for the extra calories. I am about at my max as far as eating goes and tapping out my budget on food. My goal at the moment is to put on some muscle mass and worry about leaning out again later. But, I don't want to just fatten up to gain weight, I would like to gain as lean as possible, but, I just can't seem to hit that caloric excess that puts me to the gain mode. I also, just started taking creatine again, so I know I'm going to pick up a few pounds here in water weight. Anyways, would like to hear some feedback and opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

Travis
Old 07-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Most weight gainers are protein powder + lots of sugar. Not really the best method.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:59 AM   #3

Profile:

up the protein and fat a ton. the zone is super hypocaloric and low-protein, so even 24 blocks isn't very much - only 188 grams of protein and about 2160 kcals. plus at 40% carb, it's a lot of bulk if you're eating only vegetables and fruits.

Double your protein and ramp up your fat intake to 5X over several weeks, but keep the carb intake the same, or even lower and do a cyclic low-carb approach.

That will be the best way to put the weight on while minimizing fat increases. Also, keep you carbs as much vegetable as possible, no sugars/starches (except maybe some sweet potatoes after training), and limit fruit to grapes, berries and melons.

also check out free issue of performance menu #17:
http://www.performancemenu.com/freei...ad&issueNum=17
Old 07-12-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Norm Rager

Profile:
What Greg said -

Regarding the P menu issue #17 - I was in wk3 of the first Hypertrophy meso-cycle and using the cyclic low-carb approach (eye-ball method for me) with IF. Seemed to be working great, felt strong, volume was completely manageable, bit of weight gain (only 3wks)etc.

At 42yrs and 160lbs, I've always zoned, and was having a hard time with food volume while ramping up Cf intensity. After reading the issue #17, I decided to see if this 42yr old could 'build a bigger engine', then regain MetCon levels and maintain the 'bigger engine'. Their advice that 'it is easier to maintain weight/strengh, than to build it at high(er) MetCon intensity is sound. It was working better than anything I've tried.

All was well until I did something STUPID on a recovery day - no fault of their plan. I've spent the last week recovering a low-back issue. I'll probably start again at week 1 Monday. No big deal - I have the rest of my life to train.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #5

Profile:

Norm - you should talk to Chris Forbis. He's dealing with some back issues as well and he and I have discussed a good way for him to modify the PM gaining plan in a way that will not affect his back but should still be very effective.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Norm Rager

Profile:
Thanks Greg -

I went a little nuts on a ab/back circuit (against PMenu advice). The next day (4th of July), I brought my rings to the party and showed off to my neices' 18yr old boyfriend (wrestler, going to Nationals). He wanted to know what a MU was. I showed him 2 sets of 5reps, some more dips, PU's, L-PU's, etc. I didn't warm-up AT ALL. The most MU's Ive ever done was 1 at a time - never consecutive.

The next 2 days I spent flat on my back chanting 'I AM AN IDIOT'. There is no such thing as Bullet-Proof!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
Travis Ransom

Profile:
Gregg

Thanks a ton for your advice and help. I am going to give what you suggested a try.