CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

I used to be a chubby 230 lbs before slimming down to 190 lbs, climbing back up to 215, and then coming back down to 200. I feel like I could plow through food if I let myself go... does your body want to be at a certain weight? I was at 230 for most of my teen years and into my very early 20s.

I ask this question because I'm thinking I'm playing around with the idea of competing in amateur Strongman competitions in the lightweight division. Any thoughts/comments welcome.

By the way, this site has been tremendously helpful in helping me learn more and more about nutrition. I just wanted to thank all the people who have responded back with such great insights. I am currently in love with tea and coconut oil.

Sincerely,
Kurt
Old 03-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

Yea, so I just reread my message this afternoon and realize that it could have made more sense.

I eat pretty clean... junk food/cheat meals account for 10% of my weekly food intake. However, I've been following the Zone for the past month and the amount I eat often doesn't leave me feeling satisfied... which then leads me to add extra amounts of food (veggies, meat, good fats) in that I literally didn't plan for.

I guess this is both a question and a statement. First, the statement: my belly and I have a tumultuous relationship... it likes to consume massive amounts of food and I'd like to be able to look good with my shirt off (12% ain't bad but it's not exactly Tony Bainbridge-esque).

Next, the questions. Should I follow my belly's natural urges and eat to satisfaction (but not bloatedness) or should I strictly adhere to the Zone and make my belly whimper and whine in frustration? Also, when following the Zone, it's recommended that I consume only 19 blocks... shoudl I start right below maintenance levels (25 blocks) and gradually work my way down to 19 blocks? Somehow, I know that the answer depends on the individual... do whatever it takes to make yourself successful.

I doubt this post really helped to clarify my predicament. It's the reason why I'm currently playing with the notion of training for the lightweight divisions of amateur Strongman competitions (200-230 lb weightclass). I can eat a ton, so I might as well take advantage of that "gift", and train for something that caters to my eating habits.

Kurt

(Message edited by buddhabellybum on March 12, 2006)
Old 03-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

Any feedback/criticism is appreciated.

Thanks!
Kurt
Old 03-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Kurt: My $.02

I used to be pretty fat, and my body would happily return to that state pretty quickly (probably about 6 - 10 pounds more than I am now).

In my limited experience, folks in our situation (former fatties) have to want to the satisfaction of being leaner more than we want the satisfaction of the full belly.

I've never lost weight, nor maintained a lean state, without being willing to experience some "hunger" (or, at least, a level of non-fullness that made my belly "whimper and whine in frustration" (as you so eloquently put it)).

For me, it requires some degree of "anger" (may or may not be healthy in the long run) to get me to overcome those whimperings and accept that hunger is the path to leanness.

I'm not sure that body fat below 10% is really "required" for any health goals . . . just performance, aesthetics, and ego.

(All right, here's your change, that was only worth $.01).
Old 03-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Kurt, another 2 cents...

As a competitive OLer, I've been down as low as 104lbs and as high as 120 (yikes!) It was hard work and a lot of discipline to get down to 105 for competition and I'd train around 108. Without paying any attention to my diet and cheating whenever I want, my body naturally hovers around 115lbs +/-.

What was the question again? Oh yeah, yes my body does seem to like being around 115-118 (where I am at the moment.) My brain and ego, on the other hand, would like to be back down around 105-110.

Second question: what should you do? That depends on what is really important to you. You are the only one that can answer that question.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
Petr Ruzicka

Profile:
I'm from oposite spectrum. I have problem in order to get more weight on my frame. Unless I eat a lot and excercise I will end up 80 kg. Now I'm 84 kg of CF muscle and slowly climbing up.
BUt I have to "diet", ie. for me eat a lot and often.
May be our body wants to be at certain weight however for certain conditions (level of activity and daily amount of food) different weight are needed.
So for your case oposite is true - eat a little less may be.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:50 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The working out stuff is "easy", it's the daily grind of dietary discipline that's horrible! But it is what it is and you have to do it. Eat your meals on a strict schedule, don't keep crap in the house or, like I have to do, keep the crap in a separate cabinet. This way when your reaching for the almonds, the cookies aren't hovering at eye level. Pre-make your meals for the week and always have some cooked protein handy...a 4oz slab of meat, two pieces of fruit and 12 almonds make a quick meal if your desperate. Make this stuff routine and eat 3 cheat meals throughout the week...you have to loosen up a little or you'll explode into a donut eating frenzy.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Marissa Ray

Profile:  
I suppose some folks reach & maintain leanness through sheer will and wanting a certain look. But personally if my motivation feels completely 'external', that just makes me want to rebel. For me, to lose the last 5-10 lbs., I kinda have to shift gears both mentally and physically, and really want the sense of lightness and greater detachment from food. Which means not much junk at all, to stay out of the cycle of eating it & craving it, and more careful stress management etc. Because for me, physical/emotional tension is the real culprit behind a whimpering and whining belly, not true hunger and need for large quantities of food. When I make myself be satisfied *before* I start eating, I'm on the right track. Maybe this is all TMI, but all yer buddha stuff inspired me...
Old 03-15-2006, 05:59 AM   #9
Steve Liberati

Profile:
In due time, your urges to eat massive amounts of food will be a distant memory. Stay consistent and your urges will gradually subside. It takes time to reverse your the damage you inflicted on your body in the past years. Smokers don't get their lungs back to normal the day they quit. Rather its a long tedious process.

You'll get there.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
I read an article that said when your fat cells are empty they trigger a hormone that makes you want to eat. In time, the fat cells will go down, and so will the hunger. Our ancestors that retained fat did a better job of surviving famine, so it is natural to retain some fat. You may also have a Pica. If you eat strictly low gylcemic, it will eliminate insulin overproduction which triggers another hormone that cases hunger. This is backed up by studies at Cal Poly Pomona that have shown that eating starchy foods causes people to eat more calories. They also studied that the more variety at a meal, the more we eat. Eating one block an hour before meal time and before bed is also helpful. Eating more leafy veggies will fill you up. Four bocks of cauliflower or broccoli is 16 cups! Adding this much roughage may cause you to have stomach upset. Your body actually changes intestinal bugs to help digestion when you switch to a high roughage diet, but this can take some time. Ref. San Diego Union Tribune paper. My doctor told me about a product called Flora Source. It has 15 different probiotic cultures. Call 1-800-780-1189 and the company Golden Health will ship it the same day. It is also great if you are having problems after taking antibiotics.