CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Hydration supplements

Anyone use them? Like "elixir" or "nuun" etc. I sweat like an animal. And lifting and bjj everyday I'm constantly dehydrated no matter how much water I drink. If I take 2 days off, I weight 215. After a few days of training, I weigh 205. I've always been like this.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Hydration supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
Anyone use them? Like "elixir" or "nuun" etc. I sweat like an animal. And lifting and bjj everyday I'm constantly dehydrated no matter how much water I drink. If I take 2 days off, I weight 215. After a few days of training, I weigh 205. I've always been like this.
Alex Viada, who has an account here, was involved in the formulation of one and it sounds pretty darn effective. Try to contact him about it.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:

I'm a big fan of Nuun tablets. You simply drop a tablet into your water bottle and you're good-to-go. I like Nuun tablets because they don't have any sugar in them, yet still have a pleasant taste. I've seen Invictus recommend them for its competitive athletes. I've been using them prior to some longer rowing workouts this Summer and have found them to help quite a bit.

One issue with following a Paleo/"clean" diet is that you don't take in much salt unless you're adding it yourself. By cutting out processed foods, you also cut out a lot salt. If you're training hard and eating a Paleo/"clean" diet, then adding lots of salt to you food and supplementing with something like Nuun tablets can be very beneficial in maintaining requisite hydration levels.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian B. Vaneria View Post
I'm a big fan of Nuun tablets. You simply drop a tablet into your water bottle and you're good-to-go. I like Nuun tablets because they don't have any sugar in them, yet still have a pleasant taste. I've seen Invictus recommend them for its competitive athletes. I've been using them prior to some longer rowing workouts this Summer and have found them to help quite a bit.
I think the Nuun tablets are pretty effective, however i DONT think they have a pleasant taste. Me and a couple of my cycling buddies tried them and didnt really care for them, they seem to have a slightly bitter taste to me anyway. BUT if Invictus is recommending them, that says a lot about the product to me. Those guys do their homework and know how to produce great athletes.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Alex Viada, who has an account here, was involved in the formulation of one and it sounds pretty darn effective. Try to contact him about it.
It's called Mercury, and here is the details about it:

Quote:
One of the hardest things to explain to a neophyte athlete is the utility of branched chain amino acids for the average person. It's not that they're not useful, but it's that no one can "feel" them, so they have idea if they're achieving their desired effect. The time for that is over, as Olympus Mercury is the first targeted BCAA product that does what it says and makes itself noticed the second you glide through the "wall" in your training like it was never there.

Olympus Mercury is the first BCAA product specifically designed to improve endurance, whether it's on the track, on the trail, on the road, or in the gym. Not only does it contain your standard BCAA in a 2:1:1 ratio, but it also contains Waxy Maize Starch, Taurine, Sodium Bicarbonate, and Citrulline Malate for sustained energy and power, Glutamine for improved recovery, and Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, and Magnesium Citrate for electrolyte management.
Link to buy. (mostly wfs, but links from there may not be)
Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Here is a facebook post with a video explaining it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...044&id=1302662 (wfs)
Old 09-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #7
Alexander Granick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
I think the Nuun tablets are pretty effective, however i DONT think they have a pleasant taste. Me and a couple of my cycling buddies tried them and didnt really care for them, they seem to have a slightly bitter taste to me anyway. BUT if Invictus is recommending them, that says a lot about the product to me. Those guys do their homework and know how to produce great athletes.
I've tried some flavors that I hate (most), and one that's not bad (strawberry lemonade).
Old 11-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Dylan Farr

Profile:

I use www.hdxmix.com wfs

BCAA's, electrolytes, small amt of protein, but I take it for the Carnosyn [beta alanine]

Thats during pre training or post. Other than that water with copious amounts of raw lemon.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Another effective product is Pedialyte. You can combine it with BCAA as well.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #10
Jon Clingenpeel

Profile:

I like Ultima, no weird after taste and they use stevia in it. Pretty cheap for the amount you can get. On Amazon its about $25 for 90 servings

W/F/S
http://ultimareplenisher.com/