CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #1
Darryl Shaw
Member Darryl Shaw is offline
 
Darryl Shaw's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manchester  England
Posts: 1,925
Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

Interesting study into the effects of an unrestricted Paleo diet and CrossFit on blood lipids.

Quote:
ABSTRACT

The Paleolithic (Paleo) diet is one modeled after the perceived food consumption of early human ancestors of the Paleolithic Era, consisting of mainly meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, eggs, and nuts. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of a Paleo diet on blood lipids, including high-density lipoprotein (HDL), low-density lipoprotein (LDL), non-HDL cholesterol, triglycerides (TG), total cholesterol (TC), and the ratio between TC and HDL (TC/HDL) in a healthy population. Healthy subjects of both genders (24 males, 20 females) were asked to eat an ad libitum Paleo diet for 10 weeks. Prior to the intervention, body weight, body fat percentage (BF%), maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max), TC, TG, HDL, and LDL were measured. These measurements were repeated following 10 weeks of a Paleo diet. As a whole, there was a significant increase in non-HDL (107.16.0 mg/dL to 120.26.5 mg/dL; P<0.01), LDL (93.15.4 mg/dL to 105.66.1 mg/dL; P<0.01), TC/HDL (3.00.2 to 3.30.2; P<0.05), and TC (168.85.4 mg/dL to 178.96.6 mg/dL; P<0.05) in healthy subjects following a Paleo diet. When stratified into groups based on initial blood lipid levels, deleterious changes were found in those with optimal HDL (82.13.2 mg/dL to 68.64.8 mg/dL; P<0.05), non-HDL (86.63.9 mg/dL to 101.44.8 mg/dL; P<0.01), TC (157.20.7 to 168.20.9 mg/dL; P<0.05), TC/HDL (2.50.1 to 2.70.1; P<0.05), and LDL (69.13.1 mg/dL to 83.54.1 mg/dL; P<0.01), whereas those within sub-optimal stratifications showed no significant changes. Subjects also decreased body weight (80.72.6 kg to 77.52.4 kg; P<0.001) and BF% (24.31.2% to 20.71.2%; P < 0.05). Our results demonstrate that an ad libitum unrestricted Paleo diet intervention is associated with deleterious changes to blood lipids in healthy subjects, despite concurrent improvements in body composition and cardiorespiratory fitness. Future research should focus on determining recommendations that embrace the positive aspects of the Paleo diet, while minimizing any deleterious impact on blood lipids in a healthy population.
Full text - link. (wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek
Member Dare Vodusek is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kidricevo  Slovania
Posts: 901
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

A fine research, but the problem is its based on the obsolete findings on blood lipids. We know now that only particle size matters, values itself does not give us the whole picture.
__________________
Originally Posted by Rick Scarpulla
Toughness is a state of mind not a size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
Larry Bruce
Member Larry Bruce is offline
 
Larry Bruce's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto  ON
Posts: 545
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
A fine research, but the problem is its based on the obsolete findings on blood lipids. We know now that only particle size matters, values itself does not give us the whole picture.
Not sure that is the "only" thing that matters but in any case, decreasing HDL and increasing TG is associated with with smaller, denser LDL particles.

Link deleted. You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS).


In fact, the TG/HDL-C ratio can be used as a proxy for the particle size.

Link delted. You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS).

So you can't really paint decreasing HDL and increasing TG levels as a bright picture.

However the weight loss and aerobic improvements may at least balance these out to
some degree.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Phil Washlow
Member Phil Washlow is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester  IL
Posts: 306
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

"Furthermore, our study did not include a control group and a low number of diet logs were returned (n = 8), which calls into question how accurately these logs portray the true dietary intake of the group and were therefore excluded from analysis."

Did they exclude the 8 people who returned their unsatisfactory logs and use the other 36 who didn't return logs? or did they only use data from the 8 people who returned logs?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Luke Sirakos
Member Luke Sirakos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 858
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
"Furthermore, our study did not include a control group and a low number of diet logs were returned (n = 8), which calls into question how accurately these logs portray the true dietary intake of the group and were therefore excluded from analysis."

Did they exclude the 8 people who returned their unsatisfactory logs and use the other 36 who didn't return logs? or did they only use data from the 8 people who returned logs?
Sounds like they had logs from all 44 but 8 of them were unsatisfactory.

Either way, sure seems to mimic the real world paleo diet...
__________________
Deadlift: 475 | Back Squat: 405 | Front Squat: 320
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
Joseph Regan
Member Joseph Regan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cyrpess  TX
Posts: 151
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

None the less its a very interesting, but small, observation. I don't think anyone should jump on the anti paleo bandwagon just yet. One flaw is see with paleo as a whole, is the lack of blood monitoring in the entire community. I don't know of many, if any, paleo people that get blood monitored to determine if what they are doing is beneficial or harmful. Regardless, the findings are fun to keep track of.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
Dare Vodusek
Member Dare Vodusek is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kidricevo  Slovania
Posts: 901
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

Larry, have a look here: Link deleted. You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS).

Quote:
There are, however, problems with this “standard” cholesterol test, especially for understanding LDL risk.

For starters, only total cholesterol (TC) and TG are directly measured. HDL-C is indirectly measured, and LDL-C is actually calculated according to a formula that assumes VLDL is about 20% of TG. It turns out this assumption is not often correct.
__________________
Originally Posted by Rick Scarpulla
Toughness is a state of mind not a size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
Luke Sirakos
Member Luke Sirakos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 858
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
None the less its a very interesting, but small, observation. I don't think anyone should jump on the anti paleo bandwagon just yet. One flaw is see with paleo as a whole, is the lack of blood monitoring in the entire community. I don't know of many, if any, paleo people that get blood monitored to determine if what they are doing is beneficial or harmful. Regardless, the findings are fun to keep track of.
I think one of the biggest issues with the paleo diet was highlighted here thanks to the lack of restrictions. People tend to get into paleo eating and assume just because something is not on the banned list (dairy, legumes, grains) then it is healthy and they can eat as much as they want. That typically slides into people saying something like, "Oh I eat 90% paleo" or in other words they eat 5 pieces of bacon a day and will also partake from the banned list but they still think they are eating healthy.

Very rarely in the real world do you see people stick to a strict paleo diet for more than 30 days, usually during a "challenge", mainly because it is a pain to do so. Another reason I don't see it being a viable diet for most people, if they just stuck to eating healthy foods (whole and limited processed) while allowing for the occasional treat they would be better off. Instead you get people trying to follow an unnecessarily restrictive diet, they eventually stray, but they keep the mentality that they can eat as much as they want.
__________________
Deadlift: 475 | Back Squat: 405 | Front Squat: 320
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
Matt Shaffer
Member Matt Shaffer is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Highland Park  IL
Posts: 22
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

Protein is not protein is not protein. I wold like to know the sources of said protein. There needs to be a similar study done using pastured ruminants and wild caught fish.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
Luke Sirakos
Member Luke Sirakos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dallas  TX
Posts: 858
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shaffer View Post
Protein is not protein is not protein. I wold like to know the sources of said protein. There needs to be a similar study done using pastured ruminants and wild caught fish.
Would you say that realistically the majority of paleo dieters eat only, or a majority of their meats from pastured ruminants and wild caught fish?

The point of the study wasn't to look at a super strict version of the paleo diet, it was even stated as such with "Unrestricted" being in the title. The point was more to see the impact it makes in real world conditions.
__________________
Deadlift: 475 | Back Squat: 405 | Front Squat: 320
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Four diet questions on a broad range of subjects David Ballard Nutrition 20 01-07-2010 06:31 AM
Paleolithic Diet Joshua Snider Nutrition 56 06-21-2009 12:30 PM
Paleolithic diet William John Nutrition 6 12-19-2007 10:06 PM
Which diet is more effective in given cases, Paleolithic diet or Zone diet? Nicolas Castonguay Nutrition 28 11-05-2007 02:34 PM
My research on Paleolithic diet Neal Winkler Nutrition 21 09-24-2005 01:07 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.