CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
Beau Bray

Profile:
Hello everyone,

I very recently purchased the book "Enter the Zone", and have since started putting the guidelines to use.

Did all of you find it difficult at first? Last night, it took me over an hour to figure out and make my meals for today.

According to the calculations I should need about 20 blocks a day. That just seems like an incredible amount of food.

I weigh about 233 lbs and I'm about 26%, leaving me with 172 lbs of LBM. I rated myself between moderate and active.

I dropped my blocks to 17 to 18 a day, because I definitely want to cut up, but I don't mind losing a little bit of muscle along the way.

Is it okay to count the fat in canned salmon towards my fat blocks? Or am I still supposed to add even more fat?

How long did it take everyone to get into the groove to make this easier? What if you use the eyeball method at a restaurant, the meal is about 4 blocks, but you need 5 blocks per meal? Is it okay to eat less blocks as long at the proportions are correct?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate any help/advice you can give me.

-Beau
Old 01-19-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Beau,

I pretty much started the Zone yesterday. It is a pain in the butt for me too. I am not looking forward to the no caffine thing. I like coffee to much. I figure I will try and get the Zone under control and then the caffine. Good luck on the zone.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
It takes a little while to get rolling, but you will get better at it. First off, you need to weigh and measure everything for the first month. When you hit on a recipe you like, write it on an index card and keep it handy. You probably only eat a maximun of 20-30 diffrent meals over and over; sometimes less. You need to base your protein RX on lean body mass, don't drop blocks to lose weight, and you do mind about losing muscle...muscle is metabolically active and assists you in losing body fat. Just being in the Zone will help you lose body fat, to the tune of 1-2 lbs per week. Your in this for the long haul and will lose the excess body fat if you stay in the Zone. Nothing worth achieving is easy, disipline is the key. Try cooking all of your lean protein on Sunday (grill chicken or other meat). Weigh out your block RX of lean protein (say 5 blocks) and put each 5 block serving in a individual zip lock bag. Now when you need protein, grab a bag. You could warm it and eat as is, or add it to a recipe. Get frozen mixed vegatables, pour directly into a pan with a little olive oil...stir fry and when its almost cooked add seasoning or organic low sodium soy sauce. I keep a Jar of raw Macadamia nuts at work and at home: one nut = 1 block of fat. This stuff gets easy with time. Keep plugging away.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Get the book 'Mastering the Zone'. It will be worth it. It breaks it down a bit more than the first book.

1 block = 7 g PRO, 9 g CHO, and 3 g FAT, or if you do the Mastering the zone method right out of the book, a fat block is only 1.5 g (d/t the fat contained in lean protein, a fudge factor). I like the 7/9/3 ratio. Works quite well for me.

Find the foods you'll be eating often, write down their block values per portion in a notebook and keep it in your kitchen. Much easier to look at a cheat sheet than to have to re-figure it out every day or commit it to memory.

Dr. G
Old 01-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Also, according to Coach, caffeine (coffee) is OK for Crossfitters. Don't know the science behind it, but having a cup of joe every once and a while is good to go.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Woohoo!!! I knew I wouldn't have give myself up.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Why the zone? If it's troublesome to your schedule then i say to hell with it. Do what works for you.I don't follow it and do great with crossfit. In our busy society it gets really tough to be counting everything you eat. Just follow the crossfit food guidlines for what to eat: lean meats, veggies, nuts and seeds, and bit of fruit or starchy carbs. Eat when you're hunger and stop when you're full, it's that simple.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Greg, why bother timing the WODs? Curls are easier than the olympic lifts, let's all just do 3 sets of 10 curls. Guys on Body for Life look great...let's just do that! In everything, you get out, what you put in. Elite fitness takes dedication and hard work. Following the food guidelines is a good way to start, as a matter of fact it is a smart way to start. To push the upper limits of performance, you need to control your nutritional intake more carfully. I see from your profile you are 19 years old, I felt the same way at 19; I've changed my mind over the years.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
Eric Keller

Profile:

Beau,
Stick with the Zone for at least a month, weighing and measuring everything to the maximum extent possible. Track the vital stats (weight, BF%, LBM, WOD performance) and the subjective feelings of health, alertness, and energy levels to see if it is working for you. As to the inconvenience, pretty soon you will have portion sizes memorized for the stuff you eat most often and fixing meals won't be any more of a hassle than pre-Zone.

Greg,
"Eat when you're hunger and stop when you're full, it's that simple." It isn't that simple for everybody. Many of us need more structure to ensure we are eating just enough, but not too much. Also, your body takes time to decide when it is full, so if you wait until you feel full to stop eating, you may have already eaten too much. I too was doing fine on the WODs pre-Zone, and if it works for you to eat more instinctively, that's great. I weighed the pros and cons of the Zone and decided that there were too many benefits to the Zone to be dissuaded by some minor, temporary inconvenience.

Remember, CrossFit won't kick you off the website for not eating on the Zone. Yet...:wink:
Old 01-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
Beau Bray

Profile:
Awesome! Thanks for the replies everyone!

It's now my second official day on the Zone, and already it seems a little easier.

A couple hours after my lunch today though, I feel pretty tired, but that could easily be from my lack of sleep last night.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the advice and replies.

-Beau