CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
Alex Romero

Profile:
Re: Coaches Sleeping With Coaches/Clients -- How to Handle?

It sounds like your members know about this and therefore it is safe to assume gossip is flying all over the place. If this is the case, then I don't think you appreciate just how much this hurts your business and reflects poorly on you. The offenders need to go in my opinion
Old 01-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
Miles Roberts

Profile:

And not to freak anyone out, but if there are several married people involved in these things going on (coaches and athletes) then you have to acknowledge that there is a chance that their spouse will react, if they find out, in a way that could do MUCH more damage than hurting your reputation.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
Jayne Whittingham

Profile:

I actually think there are two separate issues here. Single people getting together is always going to happen & you can have policies in place for how to deal with it.

However, coaches pursuing clients in what should be a safe, relaxed space is verging on harassment & I would be very uncomfortable with it going on in classes.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #14
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

So you are not the Affiliate Rachel so when you say "our" gym not sure if you have any ability to act on this issue?

This is my personal opinion strictly but it is what I enforce in my gym:

1. If the coach or they are married it will cost the coach their job. This wouldn't apply in the case of a separation, ending marriage. I would consider that person single even if the paper work hadn't caught up.

2. Any coach that hits on multiple members is gone instantly. Male coaches will be given less slack. My gym has to be a safe place for women.

3. Two single coaches is going to happen. It would be simpler if it didn't but the reality is CrossFitters are attracted to other CrossFitters. We tend to meet our mates from the place we are most often. For many of us that is a CrossFit gym. As in any other profession if it doesn't workout both parties must act professionally at work and deal with it on their own time. It can never be allowed to effect the product the members receives. This has lead to many happy long term relationships and marriages in the CrossFit world.

4. Single coach/single member. I like the "1 and done" idea. I have a very attractive, now single female coach. She spends a lot of her free time at the gym working out or coaching. When she was a member she dated another member for over a year. It ended after she became a coach for me. I think he just wasn't the "1" so she moved on. He is still a member with us and while we had a rough 2 months everyone seems to be doing better now. Not sure which guys are single but I can think of a couple who are attractive, similar education, the right age.

A good CrossFit gym is about community. My gym is in an area with young families. Finding a true match and great relationship is not to be taken lightly, I don't want to stand in the way of this possibly happening.

If your gym is in an area of young single folks then there will be more of this. Just demographics.

I have also seen a fair amount of what I would call the upgrade effect. Woman comes into CrossFit. Starts to get more confident as she gets stronger. Self esteem goes up and sooner or later she looks at the guy she has been with and realizes she can do better. Better is often a fellow CrossFitter. Really this is a huge success with a female member or coach.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #15
Steven Thunander

Profile:

You would be best off firing the coach involved and banning both them and the member involved in the relationship from coming back in. You may want to also let other local boxes know about the situation so the problem does not travel to them.

If the violation is serious enough, you may also consider contacting CrossFit HQ for further disciplinary action (including revocation of the offenders ability to coach).

Last edited by Steven Thunander : 01-19-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #16
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

teacher and students.
uni professor and students.
doctor and patient.

you could argue that its basically abuse of a position of authority between a coach and their students.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #17
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
If the violation is serious enough, you may also consider contacting CrossFit HQ for further disciplinary action (including revocation of the offenders ability to coach).
Just curious...does HQ have this power? Do affiliate owners or certified coaches make any sort of agreement with HQ that they won't fraternize with other clients/coaches?

- Mark
Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #18
Adam Morden

Profile:

Really well thought out points Brendan.

Mark, as far as I know (unless the affiliate agreement/certification agreements have drastically changed) there is no specific no fraternization clause. It might be able to be argued that the clause about not defaming CrossFit or bringing CrossFit into disrepute could be applied but I would be really surprised if HQ wanted to get into this kind of situation - I don't think they would want to touch it with a 20ft pole.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #19
Greg Warren

Profile:

Do you handle the situation differently if the coach is the one pursuing the athlete vs. the athlete pursuing the coach? I realize from an outside perspective that it may not be easy to recognize the difference, but I can think of multiple times since joining CrossFit where I've seen athletes pursuing coaches.

Edit: Assuming in this case that both parties are single.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #20
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Warren View Post
Do you handle the situation differently if the coach is the one pursuing the athlete vs. the athlete pursuing the coach? I realize from an outside perspective that it may not be easy to recognize the difference, but I can think of multiple times since joining CrossFit where I've seen athletes pursuing coaches.

Edit: Assuming in this case that both parties are single.
See #4 in my post. Coach needs to be a professional. If they think it could be long term then they may pursue. If it is just going to be a fling then they should pass. The reality is in our society the vast majority of CrossFit coaches are going to have no problem finding someone outside their gym to have a fling with, flings with members is bad for business and the gym culture.